Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting V-Carve Signs

Default Painting V-Carve Signs

Now that are shopbots are running all day every day, I have a lot of students wanting to cut v-carve signs. This may be the 50 million dollar question, but how is the easiest way to paint one color inside of the v-carve and another color on the outside.

I have tried to do it a couple of different ways with the students but it never looks 100%.
    - We used spray paint to fill the v-carve and sand off the over spray. We only do this when we just polyurethane the material.
    - We have used a very fine brush
    - We have painted inside the v-carve and ran a smooth paint roller over the top.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated it!!!

Eric - I most always use a vinyl mask to do this. Do a search on Avery mask and Gerber mask and you should have a lot of threads pop up on the subject.

I paint my flat surface first before carving. Once the paint is completely cured, I apply the vinyl mask to the flat surface. You have to really apply pressure to the mask with a roller or a plastic putty knife. This helps it to completely adhere and remove all the air bubbles. For me, it seems to help if you let the mask sit on there a few hours. After that, you simply V-carve through the mask. If you have a sharp bit, you should have nice clean cuts in the mask. At this point you can spray some shellac or sanding sealer on the v-carve area. This just helps to seal the edges of the mask so that your paint doesn't bleed onto the flat surface that you already painted. After that sealer is dry, you can paint the v-carve letters and not have to worry about getting paint on your flat area. Once the paint is dry just peel off the mask and you are done.
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

"Easiest" is a relative term here. While it's probably beyond the school budget, a product like 'Color core"is about as simple as you can get. Multiple layers of different colored plastics are stacked as though the outer layers are veneers. When you cut through the outer layer, the inner layer (now a different color) appears, and you are done....You can even MAKE sign blanks on your own to do this process.
    Next most common method is a "paint mask"which is simple a sticky backed material ( similar to shelf paper) that you apply to the FINISHED surface of a sign blank. You then V carve THROUGH the paint mask and that leaves you with carved letters which are exposed. Paint the letters as you normally would, but you'll now see that you can ONLY paint in the areas which are NOT covered by the mask. let your letters dry completely, and then carefully peel off the mask.To be most effective your blanks have to have their surface coatings totally dry, and the mask should be applied the night before so it can adhere properly. Gerber, and Avery both make sign masks ( OR just try this with shelf paper from Walmart, etc.).
    I am sure that others will chime in with their approaches to this process as well.
    Brad beat me to the mask technique...
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

In general you prefinish the blank before you v-carve. If it is paint then top coat the paint with clear. Do your v-carve, paint the carving, sand off overpaint, and then topcoat all with clear. For black letters a lot of folks use a black ink that is easy to carefully wipe off the top surface as you go.

You can also use a product called paintmask. After you paint the blank you apply the paintmask, carve, paint the carve, and peel the paintmask. It is generally advisable to paint the v-carve with the same color as the blank first to seal the edges of the paintmask. Avery and Gerber are two well know manufacturers and may co-operate with an educational program. I know Avery will send a sample pack.

That's it in a nutshell. Each method has it's own nuances to be picked up with a bit of experience.

Bill and I simul-posted!!

Bill - I have looked into color core and a few products like that but the price is too crazy for me to have kids making signs out of. I wish I could find someone who sells random scrap sizes and colors.

Brad - When you refer to a masking are you talking about the same type of material guys use for vinyl transfer. We have a vinyl cutter and have a lot of the jumbo size rolls of masking tape laying around.

They make a plastic version and a tape version - Is one better than the other>?

Thanks for the ideas!

Eric,

I've used the vinyl application tape before (the masking tape type) for a mask. It works okay, but might have a tendency to tear out a little in some detailed areas. It works in a pinch, and is better than nothing. The price is right, give it a try. FYI... application tape comes in varying amounts of tackiness.

I've also used some off-colored plotter vinyl I wanted to use up too. It works okay too.
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Be careful to test one sign first before masking a whole group of student's signs.

I don't know if you planned on using solvent based or water based paint for the sign panels, but I have found some masking just refuses to stick to Latex paint.

If that happens, you can try using a solvent based clear over the latex paint.
    Or switch to using solvent based paint for the background.

Default Paint Mask Steps

Eric – I have a small shop and mostly produce v-carved signs. As already mentioned I also use an Avery Paint Mask and machine through it for my lettering. This is a very simple process that works well on flat smooth surfaces. So here you go step by step (My process) hope it helps.
    1. Prep and sand your material to ensure it is smooth and ready for paint.
    2. Carve sign shape, paint material with manufacture recommended paints (Oils, Acrylics…)
    3. Let the sign dry! Follow manufacture drying times.
    4. Mask with (Avery) paint mask. Ensure it is down flat, secure and without bubbles.
    5. Rout lettering and boarders with a (Sharp) V-bit. Ensure bit is clean prior to cutting.
    6. Paint lettering with the background color to ensure that any bleeding will match.
    7. Paint lettering with desired color following manufactures drying times.
    8. Remove Mask (Carefully) and touch up any problems.
    9. Completed Sign.
    Hope this helps and good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pictures continued. Again, this is not the only way or even the best way but this is what is working for me and has given good results. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images