Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22.5 degree cuts?

Question 22.5 degree cuts?

I need to join two pieces at a 45 degree angle, and one of them is too big (and oddly shaped) to put on my table saw. Has anyone used 22.5 degree V bits to cut matching pieces like this? My material is .75" thick, so I'd need a bit that will allow multiple passes to get the total depth.

thanks for any info,
    John

John...
    I haven't specifically used a 22.5° bit to make a joint, but I routinely use a 45° bit to make boxes with a waterfall grain pattern. My joints have all been les than 16" in length, but there's no reason it wont work on a larger scale. I've found that I have to have a pristine spoil board under the joint to support the veneer while being cut, I can however make extended runs of the same project with the same spoil board surface. Attempts to make a "fold up" joint where the last little bit of the bottom is left un cut, have been disappointing...

SG

Yes I have.
    Amana makes a good one that is an accurate 22.5 degrees as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Yes I have.
    Amana makes a good one that is an accurate 22.5 degrees as I recall.
    it sucks and I don't think they make it anymore. I bought one for this job and the cut was off 1.5 or 2 degrees I can't remember now for sure. the carbide knife was off. Plus there is no way to get anotehr knife back in accuratly there is nothing to index against it. When I called amana they said they had only sold 4 or 5 to dealers

I had bought one and used it years ago for some octagon shaped porthole frames and it worked well, but it wasn't an insert type. I could be mistaken about the brand but I thought it was theirs.

I have one from WhiteSide I used it for a flag box. I worked well. I'll walk out to the shop and see if I can find the package.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    I have one from WhiteSide I used it for a flag box. I worked well. I'll walk out to the shop and see if I can find the package.
    OK, it is:
    Chamfer bit
    22-1/2 degree angle
    1/2 shank
    7/8 cutting height
    15/16 cutting length
    2-3/4 overall length

part#2307

I paid $31 for mine this year
    once I had the part # it was easier to find here.

hth
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Beginner questions time:

I need the cut an angle on the entire thickness. Would I cut my part with an end mill on the shopbot and then use a hand router to go back over it for the angle?

I can't use the bearing with my thru cut, so I 'd need to use another means to keep the hand router on path.

Am I missing anything?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    I had bought one and used it years ago for some octagon shaped porthole frames and it worked well, but it wasn't an insert type. I could be mistaken about the brand but I thought it was theirs.
    this was the insert. it was a joke really lucky the client bought it not me.

John...
    No you aren't missing anything. A piloted bit would not work. If you can't find a bit intended to be run on a CNC machine, you might have to clamp a straight edge to your material and use the bearing bit in a hand held router...

When I tried to search for a bit, I found horrible inconsistency in nomenclature... A bit that cuts a 22.5 angle should be called by its included angle or a 45° bit. That made for many false searches!

SG