Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saving Tool Paths

Default Saving Tool Paths

So we seriously need a save all tool paths. The annoyance of going back and forth to save a complex cut strategy with multiple cutters was aggravating, let me tell you.

Lets get this item on the short list. Its such a simple item and there is plenty of UI real estate for the button.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Suppose the problem Joe would be linking the same tools particularly if there were several. But well worth looking at. On real estate though I get frightened looking at Artcam with all those buttons and I'd hate to see Vectric go down that path!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Not sure I understand the problem. I save all my toolpaths with multiple tools with one press all the time.

Could you explain what you're doing a bit more?
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

optimize your toolpath stragety...it's possible that one end mill can be used...maybe some toolpaths take longer with same but to combine as many toolpaths as possible with equal end mill in production runs can save many hrs of machine time...
    Vector Studio 22

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    Not sure I understand the problem. I save all my toolpaths with multiple tools with one press all the time.

Could you explain what you're doing a bit more?
    How do you do that? I would love to do that!

Oh, wait do you have an ATC?
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Is there a way using the Post Processor file to make it create a new file for each tool change?

Feeling punished because I am without an ATC.

Joe:

This thread goes into info for using the MTC (manual tool change) post processor. If it is not in your current list of post processors you should be able to get it from Vectric or SB:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...al+tool+change

Joe...
    Since you have posted this identical post on the CAMheads forum with conflicting info, I will try and make a stab at answering your questions. You also have not clarified on either thread what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

IF you wish to save multiple toolpaths with the same identical tool to a single file, simply select them all in the toolpath list and toolpath with your machines brand of "arc inch" postP.

If you wish to save each to a separate cutting file, then using that same postP and generate one for each.

IF you wish to save multiple toolpaths with more than one tool, you must first select a toolchange postP from the postP list. With a CAMaster these would be listed as "...ATC", "...FTC", "...X-3" depending on the machine. With a ShopBot you would select one that had "...TC inch" in the name. This will allow you to cut, according to your selection order, which each tool, and then manually change the bit, rezero the Z, and continue cutting with the next tool. This process will repeat for each unique tool number in your toolpath list.

This manual toolchange feature has been in use by both ShopBot and WinCNC for around 3-4 years. I imagine mach has it too. Enabling it is simply a matter of selecting the proper post processor.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    Is there a way using the Post Processor file to make it create a new file for each tool change?

Feeling punished because I am without an ATC.
    I don't have an ATC. I've been using the manual tool change routines since they came out a few years back and they've been faultless.

Works as Gary describes.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

So from what I am reading it makes a single file that stops for tool change and re zero.

Am I understanding the manual change process?