Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving Bats

Default Engraving Bats

I’ve been asked to explore the feasibility of engraving some small “mini” bats... These are the ones readily found on line for trophies or memorabilia, roughly 1.25” D X 18” L.
    The half dozen I was given vary in diameter by as much as .060 and the profile where the straight section goes into the curve of the handle varies by as much as an inch.

The little bit of messing around I have done has been disappointing. 3D toolpaths are unhappy when the profile “reality” doesn’t match the profile design, and flat or 2D lettering is very limited in height due to the curvature of the bat.

My Questions...
    Any bat engraving I see on line is done with a Laser, Is a Laser more forgiving?
    Has anyone else tried this with success?

Is my experience with size variations what others are finding?

Any suggestions are welcome... even if it’s to walk away!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve

I have done a bunch of them that are more of a standard barrel diameter. They (indexers) are finicky about dimensions- as you know. And I did all mine on an indexer- after having done my own turning...

It can be done and I would like to see how you whip it if you decide to do the project...

Monty

OK. Now I see your set up. In that format, can't you just nudge your depth gently to make it work? How many are you doing??

Default Bats

I have lasered a few bats and the laser is more forgiving than the bot. The problem with round objects like bats if your engraving is very large the laser will lose focus. They make indexers for them too but as I remember they are pretty expensive.
    Jerome

Hello Monty...
    The half inch lettering in the photo is about as tall as I can go without the centers going so deep that they become hard to read. The customer would like them taller. The real issue becomes the logos. at .5 tall they are too small!

If they like my proposal it could be thousands... I can’t see myself re-zeroing for every one! I need to come up with a fixture that holds them at a constant Z and lets the variation go to the bottom side.

Jerome...
    Thanks for your response! I suspected that the laser was more forgiving but didn’t know for sure, however it sounds like some of the same issues still exist. They have used laser in the past but are looking... I think the color is attractive to them.

SG

Steve:
    Could you make a trough with a spring loaded or hydaulic rammed bottom and flip down top clamps so the jig would always push the bat up to a constant height?

Dave...
    That’s along the lines I was thinking. The next step is to see how interested my customer is and if they are ready to commit to numbers!

Two questions, first do they already have a finish on them? Second if #1 is no how about making a smoothing pass to make them ALL the same diameter? Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Hi Russ...
    Yes, they are prefinished maple. I suggested machining a flat for the text but that wasn’t received well!

SG

Hey Steve, this is part question and part statement.

ARe you planning on doing this without the lathe?

I assume that in the N/C side of Aspire, you can project the words and
    logos onto the bat. The Bat would need to be a component.

I am assuming that Aspire can not transform the lettering onto the bat and cut in a "flat" (aka... no lathe world) unless the cutting on the bat would be less than 1/3 of its circumference... (only the side that is true reached by the spindle)

This is a great topic!

Bob Condon