Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Take on 3D Printer

Default My Take on 3D Printer

I am indulging into 3d printer world. Want to make it very simple using available resources. All the electronics i purchased from China at very bargain price. Here is the 3D model i developed after 6 hours of work.
    Filament are costly 30US dollar/1kg roll... I am also fabricating filament extruder. The price of ABS pellets in Pakistan is 1.5US dollar/kg, if i succeeded to DIY extrude 1.75mm filament from the pellets then the 3D printer running cost will be almost negligible. Discussion is open.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I left woodwork due to office work.

I think it would be neat to have a hopper that feeds pellets directly to the print head, no filament required... That however, would require a screw auger print head.

SG

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

why not make an attachment that goes on a cnc that extrudes plastic so the cnc is a 3d printer

Filament extruder is a separate project. I already ordered 25mm x 250mmlongAuger bit a PID temperature controller along with 1Kg of ABS pellets.
    If someone interested google LYMAN filament extruder. My extruder will be on the same principle. If people interested i shall further share the project.

Steve, actually the filament is fed through the stepper into the extruder hotend. The stepper is driven by RAMP hardware through firmware and have a fine controll. I dont think in very near future pellet driven extruder may evolve.

Gene,
    I thought the same thing at first but given my limited knowledge here are a couple reasons i think i'd rather have a seperate total unit.

From what i've read and see (youturd) you absolutely must have an extremely level surface to begin with.
    Also you need a "climate controlled" environment for this to work optimally in. In other words, like in my shop in the winter i have no real good heat source other then one of those "jet heaters" that spits out heat then shuts off.

From what i've read there are issues with the heating of the material in the application process and a need to have it cool down properly. Having it in a cold environment i think would create problems. So it would be better in your house or basement shop instead of out in the dusty cold shop.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Vector Studio 22

Almost completed the frame and installation of ball screws and linear slides.

How are you able to make the wood accurate enough for the precision needed for the printer? (Nice work Khalid!)

rb99,
    The wood is seasoned. Modern tools made it possible to shape the wood with precision. The Carpenter i hired for this job is very very skillfull. He is talking in micron not in mm.
    This is a small stuff. Let me show you the bigger one, the bed diagonal measurement of this 6ft x 6ft router is out only 0.5mm.

Wow that looks great.

Does wood expand and contract depending on the time of year and humidity? If it is dry my guitar necks will shrink and the fret ends will become barbs due to the shrinkage.