Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Flood Coat

Default Epoxy Flood Coat

I am building an undersink cabinet for our remodeled bathroom from 1-ply bamboo sheets. For the counter top I wanted to try an epoxy flood coat for the "wet" looks. About 1/8" thick and I am quite happy with the result. It really looks like a large water puddle.

Does anybody here have experience how durable such an epoxy coating is? I am a bit concerned about scratches, chips and dulling.

We have a kitchen counter my wife did 18 years ago it has held up it gets use every day and still looks great.

The epoxy used was west system, she applied it with a roller.

Thanks Brian, sounds promising. I did notice however that I must put sliders under a ceramic dish or it will cause scratches when moved.

In the meantime I finished and hung the piece. Apologies to the professional cabinet builders here who may laugh but this is my first self designed and CNC machined cabinet and I am kind of proud of it. The drawers took me a while and I am happy that I did that for myself. I could never charge anybody the time it took. At $9 per board foot the Bamboo isn't cheap as well.

I cut the drawer "slides" directly into the wood and filled the channel on each side with ten 1/2" steel balls. The channels are curved to allow self-closing drawers. Well, that is the theory. You should count it rather in the gadget category because the surface friction of the balls on the wood is quite high. But it works well enough for practical use.

Beautiful work, Like the bathroom- so much easier to mop and no wet kickboards. Used similar set-ups for all my wheelchair roll under sinks and wish I'd done it for all of them. NICE. Looks like you're getting a lot of use out of that ball-end plunge cutter.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Hey Guy, forget the professional cabinetmakers (A group of which I am a member). You built a very neat piece of furniture and it does deserve kudos. Nice job.

I'll pile on with Dave-
    I am a pro, and this is well worth a congratulations. Most of the time, us pro's are so busy building the same way to assure predictability and profitability, we are left craving to do something more adventurous as you have. Beautiful work.

jeff

You really think outside the square. Magnificent imaginative work!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Hey guys, thanks for the nice words, I am honored!

Nevertheless I admire the folks who not only make nice things but also make a living doing that. I have the privilege of doing this as a hobby and if I fail with a project there is not much consequence.

But then, I can do what I really like only after work and on the weekend. Bummer.

The curved drawer tops are so cool and functional. That is a great idea. I imagine it really makes the piece feel organic!

Job well done!
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Thats a piece to be proud of, and I am stealing the drawer slide idea.