Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grounding zero plate?

so what i started doing was attaching the clip to one of the bolts that holds the wheels for the Z carriage and in 7 years i've never had a issue of it not connecting to make the circuit.
    I'm having trouble visualizing where you're talking about. can you zap a picture? having an alternative to clipping to the bit would be good in a classroom where any of 100 kids will be using the Bot and the probability of someone spinning the alligator clip is pretty high!

thanks

Karl Hoyt
    Nauset Regional High School.

I have a 2006 PRT Alpha. Here are a couple pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

sorry it took a couple days to get back to you. Now I understand the concept: as long as there is electrical continuity between the place you choose to clip the grounding alligator clip and the bit, it will serve the same function! AHA!

So I can experiment with grounding points on the machine and as long as there is continuity, I should be good to go.

This would be great in that this is a high school shop, and clipping the clip to the bit will sooner or later spell disaster ...... At least if the kids press 'go' when it's clipped to a bolt on the machine, it won't become a projectile.

I'll have to experiment tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Karl

yes. If you notice there are a couple allen head screws holding the router in and that might be a more direct and safe place to attach.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I have my zero plate permanently wired to the shopbots ground, similar to what Don has described. It has worked with very little problem for about 10 years. I have a plastic sleeve mounted on the z axis for holding the plate when not in use. It also isolates the plate from touching any of the grounded metal while the ShopBot is cutting.

Default Grounding

I have been following the grounding conversation for a few years and
    even though my machine is grounded, I never had any grounding problems.

In my setup, I bolted the controller box right to the frame with steel nuts and bolts. Additionally, I hit the frame with the grinder to clear a small section of blue paint off the frame where I bolted the control box to the frame.

I did ground the control box to the power panel.

All of my wires are under the table which are tied neatly.

I have never had a communication issue with this setup.
    I did ground my overhead dust collection hose (internal wire) to the gantry.

I have never had to use the ground clip with the zplate. I just leave the clip laying on the table not touching the plate. I have a 2.2 spindle... I do know that if you use a router, you need the clip (something I learned on the desktop unit!)

I am curious... do folks bolt the controller to the wall or their frame.

My only limitation is building a dovetail fixture (Gary Campbell) would need to be mounted on the far end of the table.

The control box top gives me a great surface to set my wrenches and bits/collets that are being used.

Thanks

Bob COndon