Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wording

Noah's Art, Ashburton Canterbury, New Zealand

Default Wording

I am putting together a small newspaper advert to drum up more shopbot business, but I am stuck for simple words to describe CNC CUTTING in terms the average customer can understand. Most people dont seem to know what CNC stands for, and ROUTING sounds like a term for data connection.
    Any suggestions?

Sleeper Woods Design/Mendocino College Woodworking Program, Lakeport, CA CA

Simon -

I agree, forget the name - people won't have a connection to it, but might better have a connection for what CNC does or produces, rather than what it is.

Who are you trying to reach? Cabinet Shops? Newspaper might be too wasteful, such as not reaching your target or reaching too many that won't buy your work.

If you're going after a business customer - they SHOULD know what CNC is, but if you're going after gramma with lithophanes of her grandkids, that's a different story.

For a business customer, point out that you can do complex profiles faster and easier than they can with a router, and that this gives them an edge against other (cabinet shops, if that's who you're selling to)

For gramma, it's having a photo magically transformed into a timeless keepsake - it could be OZ behind the curtain for all she cares...

You might use words or phrases such as "precision fabrication", "rapid prototyping" "short run production"
    "computer controlled digital carving"... You get the idea....

Hope this helps!

John Moorhead

ThingsWood, 105 Keystone Court, Thunder Bay Ontario, P7C 2E6

Simon,

For something as specialized as the Bot and all the different things that one can do with it, I found that personal contact, with samples,was the best way to find and secure business.

I have always thought that a newspaper ad would be too expensive with limited results.

I made the decision I did not want to do retail! I do not want individual customers bugging me when ever they feel like it and haggling over price and delivery plus the added cost to my insurance. All my sales pitches are to other business who could use my services as a component of their product, so my point of view may be a little different than yours.

I fortunately spent many years in the sales game and try to break each day up into segments. Example, I am a early riser so, before anyone else is up and the phones start ringing, I spend the first two hours finishing up any drawings and paper work I will need during the day. Set up the Bot to do any long, no tool change runs while I am out. Then I make two cold calls and two follow-up calls. It is back to the shop to get more work out and return any phone calls. The afternoon is mostly production, pick-ups and deliveries. Before I crash for the night I make sure tomorrow's plans are in order.

I big trick is to do it every day, come hell or high water. If one is not consistent in following the plan then the business tends to become cyclical with large troughs and valleys of too much work and not enough.

With a bit of time you will find a niche you can fill, one you enjoy and make money.

It's like John said above you have to decide what it is you want to do with your talents.

I hope you find something you will love to do, that will continue to be a challenge and will make you money.

Cheers,

Jay Pollard

"Digital Cutting" fits in with trend of things becoming "digital"

To expand upon this idea how 'bout

"Custom Digital Millworks.. If you can dream it, We can build it. From Photorealistic 3 dimensional carvings to rapid production of multiple components."

" We DO what the other guys CAN'T"

Signs...Furniture...Cabinetry....Heirloom Keepsakes.

And to put an exclamation point insert pics of finished projects or examples.

ooohhh that sounds kinda good

Bill

Noah's Art, Ashburton Canterbury, New Zealand

Aha! Now you're all thinking!
    I accept that newspaper advertising is probably lazy selling. As Jay says, nothing beats personal contact.
    I am primarily a sign maker. I am usually very busy, but I find that often the bot is unused for days while I fill the orders for vinyl, paint, digital printing, banners, designs, etc. It stares at me and says "Why am I sitting here idle?"
    I have a few ongoing customers for component work, and it potentially pays very well indeed. And I use the bot for my own ideas, from storage to furniture to beehives. I just never seem to have the time (Or inclination) to devote to selling. Sounds lame.
    I just want to throw out a line, and see what reels in.

You'd be suprised how much follow-on work you get doing projects for friends. I did a lithophane as a "farewell" gift for a friend who is moving. I've had 5 follow-ons from that one. I did a kids table and have had several follow-ons from that one. I made a stencil for a friend and have had several follow-on orders after others have seen it. I'm thinking its now time to put together a photo portfolio and shop some of these things around to local businesses.

Good luck, Simon.

John

I am getting more extensive follow-on work by donating a very simple sign with business card attached, to charity auctions for organizations I support anyway. In a small town, this is a frequent opportunity.

Long Post for your consideration, we have had some success with the following.
    Look up anything to do with your target market or capability on the web and you will find multiple web sites that offer free listings. Sites like wood on line, wood planet, sign foamII, etc. These sites for suppliers and general forums often have free listings where you can post your company. We definately get calls from these free resources.
    Signsource.com has delivered at least 6 or more sign orders from local inquiries in the past 11 months. The subscription is $125.00/ yr for a 25 mile radius search area.Typical vinyl sign franchises are all there BUT when it comes to wood, routed, sandblasted signs, not many are on the site so I think this is why we get the call.Everyone knows the now signs and sign a ramas just broker it out so why not go direct to the surce?
    Check www.signsource.com for routed signs within 5 miles of your zip code or Illinois zip code 60515 to see our listing or look up Wellhouse Woodworks for reference if you like.
    I have also posted several things on various forums and to my surprise when I look up anything with "Wellhouse Woodworks" in a search I find several things I never knew or intended as "web search potentials" but there they are? (so be careful what you post)
    We have found that a relationship with a local awning fabricator/installer is a very nice relationship. He handles our installs, metal fab, and we avoid the Bond, insurance, labor, truck, permits,overhead etc. He sees signs where he sells awnings,and we see awnings with our sign sales so its a complimentary partnership and has given us both more business.
    Finally consider the Monument sign opportunities and find out where the local "Property managers" are near you. They make decisions on many interior and exterior signs from monument to directional signs all the time. And some have LOTS of $ to spend especially on new complexes and entrance monuments.
    With 25 telemarketing contacts to local property managers, e-mails, and flyers we generated 3 firm opportunities and 2 firm orders. Many more to go.
    Develop relationships with material suppliers and their sales reps. They see opportunities and refer them to someone, why not you?
    Offer mid range price cut and ship signs using color core, polytone, or the like. Fast and easy with a much nicer result than vinyl but not as pricey as painted HDU.( for info on typical pricing we see & use, e-mail me direct)
    If you are interested in becoming an authorized monument "dealer" check out www.monumentaldesigns.com and tell Dave we referred you. No gain for me but maybe for you.
    Happy Holidays to all

Jerry, I must be missing something. Sign Source seems to be a sign manufacturer located in southern California. I can't find any search function. Are you sure you have the right url?