Thread: Free Doors (Software)

Default Free Doors (Software)

Does anyone out there have experience with "Free Doors", I have read the instructions several times, checked this and other forums, emailed the authors, All with no luck!
    I can enter the door information, but after that nothing seems to work, I get errors that it can't find the cutter file, looking for SB3.exe file, (Yes, I pressed the copy files button but not sure if it even worked).
    I understand this is free, but still should be a little better documented.
    I typically use my shaper to make solid five piece raised panels hardwood doors, but in the odd case I would want to make an MDF door the functionality would be nice to have.
    Its seems that in the CNC world, it is either a cheaper, poorly documented piece of software OR a $10,000 plus $400/month maintenance overkill, without to much in between.

Any help with "Free Doors" OR an cost effective alternative to free doors would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advanced for any help or comments!!!
    John

John, have you looked here?

Never really used it much at all, but I can take a look at it again if that doesn't help.
    Scott

I've made a lot of doors with free doors .The last time was a while maybe 6 months

I don't know all the in and out but you need a computer with cc and few other thing if you have start up programs disabled on your computer it won' t work.Try another computer

They make great door don;t look like those overhead router jobs can pass as 5 piece ,There will be a learning curve but its not a difficult program also there is a new file with a tutorial I think its call bosh cutters they work the best

okay........somehow it is working......I added the DXF files to the bit profile and it generates door files.

However it produce 6 different files, one for each bit, Does anyone know if these can be consolidated in to one file with six different paths.

Also, the cutter bits are not the ones that I have, can I just make my own?
    OR Better yet import the DXF to VCarve pro and use my tools and set my tool paths there?

follow the tutorial you need the different files because of the different bits .Your wasting your time putting them in a different program
    they run great out of free door .once you run the files the fog will lift

John. I do allot of mdf doors weekly. I just use aspire (or vcarve) to draw my doors. It is easy and if you need to change or customize something it again is easy. I tried FreeDoors and found it took me longer to setup the profiles and setup cutter specs. Don't take me wrong, I don't dislike freedoors. I just found it easier for e to just use Vectric software that I already had. I just draw the door size and do offsets for my panel and rail profiles.

Glen Peterson

I'm wondering who John emailed asking for help. I keep records of all requests for assistance for FreeDoors. Even though it's been years and years since Bruce and I released that software, I still answer every question that I receive (including one today from another poster).

The part that I wrote (tool path generator) is OpenSource, meaning that you get a copy of the source code. The OpenSource license allows you to modify the code to suit your needs. If the program does not suit your needs, you are allowed to change it until it does. The only limitations placed on the program is that you are not licensed to sell the software. You must give away copies.

Now, as far as the complexity of the program goes, I'm wondering how hard it is to enter a few parameters for three cutters: a straight cutter, a Vee cutter and a cove cutter. Bruce's excellent interface makes entering information about those cutters about as easy as anything that I've ever used.

I'm sorry if John's expectations exceeded my ability to deliver, but had John really emailed me, I would have been happy to help.

Mike,
    I emailed "bwclark@centurytel.net" on November 14, 2013. I believe I got the address from your web site. Was this the wrong address? Or should have emailed you, to be quite honest I wasn't sure which one to use so I picked bwclark.

Please except my appologies, I did not mean to imply anything, Im a new user and sometimes get frustrated mostly because of my own lack of knowledge
    After several hours of playing with the software I did get it to work, but I'm not sure what I did. I kept getting an error on the cutters.csv file?

The first thing was I ran the software as " administrator" because I thought maybe I didn't have the admin rights to write the files.

The second thing I did was add the DXF files (bit profiles) to the cutters and then saved it.

Then it worked! I'm not sure if the above had anything to do with, or if I just stumble on something That I skipped before.

I think Free Doors is exactly what I'm looking for, I just need to learn how to use it.

Thanks, John

Hi John,

Maybe my not having a website is the problem. You can email me directly at miker@xmission.com or telephone me at 801 712-1210.

Right now, I'm working mostly from Linux computers, so I decided to try using the Free Doors program with a Windows Emulator. The Linux Windows Emulator (Wine) seemed to work fine.

The first step is to Edit Cutters (CSV file). The description and part number are your your information only. Other settings are used with the program for speed, feed, depth, etc. You can cut doors with just three cutters: a groove/edge cutter, a Vee/profile cutter, and a cove cutter.

After you've adjusted the settings for your tooling, Enter the Door Parameters on the main window. As you enter the information, Bruce has made it easy for you to see what parameter you're entering with the graphic on the left sideadded. If you want arched doors, you must add an arch height and the side(s) that you want arched (one side or two opposing sides). If you want the edges V-cut, click the appropriate box. When you have entered the information, click "Add to List". After you've entered several doors, click "Redraw Layout Sheet" to see how the doors "nest". If they don't nest properly, verify that you've added some "minimum spacing" between doors. Click "Save Door File". the default folder is "JOBS" and the default file name is DOORS.CSV. You and change both parameters. Finally, click "Generate Door Files" to generate the tool paths. In the folder that you selected, you'll find the tool path files. You will also find those "cut" files and some instruction files in the FILES folder. Print out and read the "instruct.txt" file, which will tell you the normal sequence of operation.

If you have questions, email me or call me and I'll try to help.