Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What is the piece you are "PROUDEST" of?

I guess I am most proud of building a functional wooden spoked cart wheel with the help of a CNC machine. I know that skilled craftsmen did that routinely by hand (or with specialized machines) for 100's of years but nonetheless this was kind of an achievement for me.

DSC00826.JPG

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00850.jpg

Wow! Glad I posted on this thread again!
    It was fun going through the 5 year old pics now that realize what was entailed!
    Lots of new pics I hadn't seen before
    Back then, I was writing in a blue funk as I didn't realize how much work went in before....and after the CNC!
    NOW I can SEE how much gratification can come from the process of going from Concept to Completion!
    Lousy description in my post if you didn't read the link.

THE point I was proudest of, was when the almost one year old walked her VERY FIRST steps to SNATCH a block from her Mom's hand
    In this pic they were trying to repeat it, BUT she already HAD the block in her hand!!
    She hasn't walked again since my house that day.
    She also had 4 teeth coming in...good thing I had so many distractions for her in the house as it was a 2 and a half hour cutting lesson for Mom who owns an Axiom Pro as well (BUT she loved my finishing and attention to detail and wanted ME to make them).
    The blocks also cemented a friendship!
    Wonderful work all!
    Keep it coming I love a positive thread!
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

This would one of mine. 48" x 22" (average). Glazed maple. Took just over 7 hours to carve.

This is not nearly as artistic as the things you guys are showing, but I'm probably most proud of the Shelter 2.0 project that my buddy Robert Bridges and I do. It was designed and toolpathed in VCarvePro and is freely shared for personal and do-gooder use. There have been a pile of them built around the world, but I'm especially fond of this one that was cut by Zack Owen's class at Andover Central School on their Buddy and donated to the House of Mercy Homeless shelter in Rochester NY.

andover shelter.jpg

Bill_L that is one great looking piece. I have done some mantle panels but nothing like that one, well done. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

+1.... I Thought you'd like that one Russell

As BMW says Bill "Form follows Function", and I'm sure the inhabitants think it's GORGEOUS!! (especially that one that looks Winterized!)
    Must be a really good feeling to do something for so many people!

BUT one of the things I'm proudest of that I DIDN'T make was that You and TJ, who didn't know me from Adam, and yet made a wheelchair adaptation to MY MakerCrate on a cold January day with absolutely no request or need to do it!!
    (minute 11:11)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuh4rkmoaQw
    Made me proud of Shopbot AND you two!!
    Saves me back pain almost daily,and let's me Easily use my Desktop!
    Never be able to pay you back!

And the OTHER thing is you're Wedging Top for the Desktop!
    Haven't had to make any "Custom" screws, or even use screws for 4 years , and can clamp almost anything I do fast and easily! Got 4 other people out there now with my adaptation of your kindly offered file!

Only for a few people, but you should be proud! I get comments and complements on both every time a new person comes in my shop(and then I have to say it wasn't my idea)

Maybe five years ago I should have said "Proud" instead of "Proudest"....We'd get more pics!
    I love watching OTHER people work.

scott

(Joe, I'm used to the saying "Going from pillar to post"....Must have been a good feeling when you had the idea of going "From post to pillar"
    scott P.
    Maine

Oreo.jpg

Fun project around here. A little ragged around the cuts and in need of cleanup.
    Our most important shop tool is the pencil sharpener!

We were more than happy to do it Scott...it was an opportunity for TJ and I to spend some quality time together!

That's NOT what TJ said Bill
    You guys did it during a January "COLD Snap", and afterwards he dreamed of making INFINITE MakerCrates in his sleep for WEEKS

The "Crate" keeps looking better and better, as everytime I have my hands/wet rag/foam brush with a suitable finish on it...the Crate gets another small portion Oiled.
    I'm up to about 15 coats!
    ALL dovetails still as tight as the day I assembled it. And considering I Yard it around all the time by my 34" cantilevered computer "shelf"..That's saying something!
    You design RUGGED!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

That was a big trip for TJ...he got to work with me and to eat his first raw oyster!