Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the piece you are "PROUDEST" of?

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Dana
    Thank you for bringing up the question i have . Using a CNC , does that make you a better woodworker or a better computer programmer ? I find it hard to say i created that , so to speak if a machine did all the work. Does that equate to i am a better assembler ?

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    Dana
    .....Using a CNC , does that make you a better woodworker or a better computer programmer ?..........
    I would not think it makes you a "better" woodworker. But it gives you a tool that allows you do things that would be either impossible by hand or extremely time consuming or requiring extraordinary skill or would wear you out by repetition. I consider myself a rather mediocre woodworker compared with the fabulous things I see other folks do. But the CNC enables me to overcome some skill gap.

I happen to "program" a bit myself to do specialty things. Otherwise I would see a CNC machine and the related pre-packed programs like the CAD or CAM tools just as that...they are tools.

Don't know if I answered the question.

My first carbon fiber bike it was before the bot I designed it in solid works and printed patterns, Made the plug and molds. Have many thousand miles on it now.

Since then I have made molds on the bot for other bike projects like my
    recumbent.

Gene…
    Your CNC definitely makes you a better woodworker… Just like the circular saw blade made the Shakers better woodworkers, the wood plane was an improvement over the adze and made the Romans better woodworkers and the lathe, in a primitive form, made the Egyptians better woodworkers!

Think of it as a tool… It’s still your creativity that makes you a better woodworker or anything worker. Anytime a new tool comes on the scene, the slow adopters cry “foul” and claim you’ve departed from the “true” craft, which is only the way they do it!

In one more generation, those that don’t use CNC tools will be the Luddites and curiosities. Thomas Chippendale wasn’t the best woodworker… he just used the most modern method of sales, a published catalogue!

Be creative!

SG

Default Medallion at Yankee stadium

At the new ballpark, in one of the lobbies there is a beautiful bronze medallion. I was very impressed with the artwork. It's sort of a baseball version of the presidential seal. I believe the original version was above the main gate at the old ballpark, actually there were two, one on either side of the text "Yankee Stadium". This was one of my first attempts at a complex project using Aspire. I made many mistakes but I learned a lot along the way. This was my 4th attempt to make the plaque the way I wanted it. It's 18" in diameter and 2 1/2" thick.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

4m x 5m x 100mm thick ceiling, 8 panels total, 200 hrs machine time in 11 days.
    Vector Studio 22

I WAS a lousy woodworker! However having spent my entire working career doing computer related stuff, having a bot is a blast! Then you add in Aspire and well let's just say that woodworking is really a lot of fun NOW! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Default swashbucklers

our best sign to date, made for my shop as a show piece.
    4" thick, hdu, painted by us, measures 27" across.
    all done in aspire.
    cut on my 2001 prt.
    Last edited by rej; 11-27-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: prt

Quote Originally Posted by gc3 View Post
    4m x 5m x 100mm thick ceiling, 8 panels total, 200 hrs machine time in 11 days.
    Wow, that is an impressive piece. It looks great!

According to my quick estimate it must weight almost a ton. How did you mount it to the ceiling? Is that in your location, earthquakes and all?

That is a good question... for me I'm not sure. I've done so much and so many various things and I like a lot of them. I think the oddest thing I did was a 18' long cedar 3x18 "over the driveway" sign for a couple. I built one heck of a plasma TV stand for a guy, and dyed it black with a gloss coat. Several antique type tool boxes. ALL of the bat houses I've built.

I don't think I can pick just one.

/RB