Thread: Is the worm turning?

Default Is the worm turning?

Just saw this article in the Woodworking Network:

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wo...m_content=Edit

Apparently, just as many import car makers figured out they would do better buy opening plants here some years ago, we now have import wood products companies opening plants here. Of course, these types of plants use factory workers rather than true woodworking craftsman, but it could be a good sign. Perhaps some of the American manufacurers who have been outsourcing will come back as well.

Dave,

I agree, competition is a good thing, it drives innovation up and prices down. However I have noticed wide swings in the quality of cabinet grade plywoods over the last several years. Even from American producers such as Columbia woods products, I'm paying between $92-$120 per sheet for 3/4 cherry A1 plywood. Sometimes it's good, other times voids and delamination occurs. I know that several years ago when they went to fermeldahide free glues delamination was a big problem! The maple and oak plywoods they sell at the big box stores for my business is unusable. It is of such poor quality, I can't get it to fit my dadoes consistently. Some boards are thin in some places and thicker in others. I hope this change helps the industry, it seems everybody is in a race to the bottom, only price matters. Toyota, Honda and Hyundai make their cars in American, Ford makes there cars in Canada and Mexico, it just doesn't make sense.

The number one reason I purchased a Shopbot over a Laguna was it was "Made in America" not China!!! People need to buy American first!

I'm off my soap box!

Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    The number one reason I purchased a Shopbot over a Laguna was it was "Made in America" not China!!! People need to buy American first!
    Amen to that. I buy as much made in America that I can. It gets hard to find stuff sometimes, but I do my best. It only make sense.

/RB

Remember when we (well some of us) saw something made in Japan, it was junk. Now theirs is of a very high quality. Same thing with Chinese, right now junk, but in the future who knows. yes since the government stepped in with tariffs, the world found it far better to be in the US and do business. Just last year, the Japanese thought about moving their car factories back to their mainland, then the govt. raised the tariffs. Stopped that. And Lesli Stahl, I believe form 60 minutes challenged the home builders in the US to build a home with all material made in the US. Found out on a $500,000 home their was only a $3000 difference. Now their is a database of American made material and companies that a lot of the homebuilders use to get their material now. The over seas companies found out like the generic drug manufacturers that you didn't need to be way cheaper, just a little cheaper to sell good in the US

Bob

Bringing up tariff's is interesting at this moment. Did anyone notice that the tariff on Chinese hardwood plywood was ended by the USITC? Happened a couple weeks ago. Notice how prices are still up and haven't gone back down proportionately?

John: I just want to address the Ford comment. Yes. Some vehicles are made in Canada- and have been for more than 40 years. However it is a small portion of specific lines. It is not reasonable to say that Ford is built in Canada and Mexico.

It is just as fair (unfair!) to say that they are built in China, because some internal components and electronics are built in Asia... It is dis-information.

We, as small, smart and crafty business people ought to be exchanging VALID information and collaborating to see how we can better address our markets . (...and that does not always include lower pricing. I, for one, am raising prices.)