Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spindle speeds automatic?

Default Spindle speeds automatic?

I'm using Aspire/VCarve Pro with my ShopBot Desktop and using GWizard to calculate my speeds and feeds.

Do the speeds I set in my design get sent to my Desktop's spindle automatically? Does the knob on the spindle controller need to be in a specific position if I want the speeds from the design? Is there a "go to whatever speed the design file says to go at" setting?

I noticed during a job, that the spindle control knob was set about midway, and that i could vary the spindle speed while the job was running.

Thanks,
    Chelmite

The desktop doesn't have an automatic control from the control unit in the same way that the larger ShopBots do as far as I'm aware.

You have to set your spindle speed manually using the controls on the front of the Spindle VFD unit.

The Desktop Quick start guide covers the relationship between what you see on the display and the equivalent for RPM settings.

F100 = 6000rpm, F200 = 12,000rpm for example.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I had the same questions for my desktop. At the northwest shopbot camp a month ago, I confirmed the same thing, speed adjustments have to be done manaully at the VFD. I was told there was a couple hunderd dollar componant that would have been required to have software control of spindle speeds. It was left out to keep costs down.

scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default Auto-spindle speeds hardware?

I'm competely surprised that there's no auto-speed for the spindle.

Does anyone know what it would take to upgrade to do auto-speed?

Thanks

I agree that it should at least be a factory option unless there are engineering considerations we are unaware of. We probably would have sprung for the extra cash. It does make it easy for dialing in unfamiliar woods and bits though.
    scott P.
    Maine

Call SB & ask. You may be able to use the spindle speed control board, but I do not know if it is compatible with the Delta VFD-S series. They are tiny and I don't know if there is even enough room in the box for the card to fit. Plus, I do not believe that there are settings in the spindle speed control exe for the VFD-S - so even if you wired up the card correctly, there may not be software to support it.

You have to keep in mind that costs on the surface are not the same as real costs - meaning that SB developers would have to invest time & energy developing, testing and supporting this specifically for the VFD-S, which is only available on the DT & no other tool. Yes, it may cost $300 for the board, but that's only part of the picture.

Call SB tomorrow & ask about the possibility.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for explaining Brady.
    scott P.
    Maine

Default Respnse time from Shopbot-42 minutes

Scott,

It was in an effort to keep the cost of the Desktop down. We do have this on the list to have as an option, but do not have a completion day set. Rewriting a section of the software is what is the hold up. The proto call to the Desktop VFD is not the same as that of the Gantry machines (they do not speak the same language).

The spindle RPM controller was not offered on the Gantry machines until the ATC (Automatic Tool Changer) was released. The RMP controller is needed on the ATC because the RMP would most likely need change with the cutter, and the operator may not be there to make the adjustment when the tool change occurs. With a none ATC the operator will be there every time the cutter is changed. You can add a pause statement to the file to post a message telling the operator what to set the RMP to. This pause can also be added to the post so you would not need to edit the files.

I hope this helps to explain.

Ryan Patterson

ShopBot Tools, Inc.
    scott P.
    Maine

Question Any progress or estimate?

Ryan, has there been any progress in implementing the auto-speed control? Is there an estimate for when it will be started/completed?

Thanks,
    Chelmite