Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KD KItchen Trouble

drawing I never had a complaint but I know a corner cabinet is a waste of space .I don't do them only at clients request first compliant that's all they an complain about I guess it not so bad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kevin

I would buy a kitchen from you. My wife has already seen your photos, and believe me, you are doing a fantastic job. Find the right ways to be firm and professional- and get the value you should from such a project.

And if you are ever close, and can do a kitchen for me, we will make a transaction with you and pay you the appropriate rate, as agreed. You can use my 60 x 120 w an indexer to complete the work. We will ask for communication up front and will allow you to do the magic that you do.

Don't get discouraged. Keep working on it. Stand your ground if you are able. And make solid business decisions when it gets rough.

Stay professional and strong!

Monty

Thank you

I posted this to help some one starting out .But I realize that is me I don't think there is any iron clad contract someone wants to change the payment scheled at the end after receiving the product your at there mercy.Which is a horrible feeling

My son is 3rd year business student is writing a better contract .Also dumb down the work faster installs

I meet a cabinetmaker 2 week who was selling his building was a little bitter but he did not modernize .i have to be carefull and not follow this path

Sorry for typos

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I would do what Dave said , Collect all you can with a smile , then invoice them for the balance due and threaten legal recourse . That is a fine looking set of cabinets.

Kevin:

Attached is a drawing of how to do a corner cabinet with overlay doors and a couple of pertinent dimensions for reference. You see that none of the doors are FULL overlay. the side cabinets are HALF overlay on the hinge side (assuming you would hinge them towards the corner). The corner cabinet is also not FULL overlay, and the Blum corner hinges handle this perfectly. Your doors do overlay the cabinet everywhere and leave the appropriate gap. I have the doors 1/16" from the face of the cabinet, as is normal, and 3/4" thick. The cab doors are also 3/4" thick. I also showed some reference lines to show you how the doors are determined from the cabinet layout.

I hope this helps you next time you need to do one of these.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gene for words of encouragement

Dave your business advice is rock solid I'm working on this right now .

The only problem with half overlay on the corner door is you,ll see a a small gap inside the cabinet .I had 14 and a half inch door which left which left a gap on the side which you could see inside the cabinet .I change to a 15 inch which covered all .The only way is inlay door or have the molding behind the door.

I never use a corner cabinet I fell it makes a kitchen looks dated just such a waste of space
    If you look at the fridge the crown is 1inch from the doors is this a design flaw or just the math?

I request a meeting tomorrow with the installer [i doubt he'll or she will show up]but i'am armed with drawing and examples

Kevin: You use their angle hinge for 45 degree positive and the plate for "maximum overlay" on the corner cabinet.
    You do not need an inset door, or any additional molding.
    Did you look at the drawing?

For an over fridge cabinet with fridge panels on both sides I don't use scribes either. I just make the cabinet the full width. On higher end kitchens I make "onlays" for the scribes the same height as the doors and with the same edge route and apply them to the face of the scribe attached to the cabinet so they end up flush with the face of the doors.

Your work, as I said in my first post here, is beautiful. There are some cabinet making layout standards that many use that you didn't. This is where the issues with this client are coming from. You have developed your own ideas on how to deal with certain situations. There have been different ways developed that are more commonly used. I have a feeling (correct me if I am wrong), that most of your European cabinet design knowledge has been self taught. There is nothing wrong with that, but it will at times lead to doing some things either a harder way, or in such a way that your layout looks unusual. The entire European system was developed to have a certain "standard" look and engineering to virtually any situation you run into in a kitchen. When one part of a job is done with one look, and another part of the same job has a different look it is almost always an issue with the engineering (sizing of parts and selection of hardware).

I was lucky, in that although much of my knowledge is also self-taught, I also worked in a couple large companies producing Euro cabinets and practicing all of the typical design and engineering standards that are used. I was amazed at how much I discovered I had been doing wrong previously. Corner cabinets was one of the things I had problems with. Once I learned how to do them their standard way, they became easy to build, and whether I like them or not, a good profit maker!

Dave thanks I did I'm not saying its not going to work I think it will .I never gave it much thought before never was an issue

What it is if I'AM SLOW PEOPLE WANT TO TAKE MONEY OFF IF I'AM FAST PEOPLE WANT TO TAKE MONEY OFF I'M MAKING TO MUCH money this happens from time to time I will try this in the shop maybe come up with a different way I think it will work with a little tweak

Also the walls in the condo are a nightmare the floors as more wave than big surf .I try Dave to deal with all though flaw to make it easier on us

Thanks Dave for you time and not fueling my anger

Kevin:

Rest assured, it will!
    I know you were venting from frustration, as I have been known to a time or two as well.
    If you don't express your challenges how will you get help?

When you get a project done quickly, make sure you tell your clients how many hours per day you worked, how you postponed other things etc, whether you did or not.

When it takes longer, make sure you tell them how challenging their special project is and although you underestimated how much work it was going to take, you will stick to the wonderful fair price you gave them.

Remember that a serious part of our job is marketing, and it doesn't end when we get the deposit.

The kitchen that Mr, Dunphy has built for this client represents a fine example of design, and craftsmanship.

Reveals in custom overlay cabinetry are highly subjective and should be left to the discretion of the cabinetmaker, unless specified otherwise in a legally binding contract. This is clearly an aesthetic design decision based on technical considerations relative to the price of the work. I would not consider this to be a defect. While there are other ways to execute such a reveal that may be considered by some to be more visually pleasing, this once again is entirely subjective. Every cabinetmaker, I know has a different approach to building custom cabinets.

When we talk about industry standards. Especially those related to aesthetic, and design decisions that do not affect function l have to raise the question, of what specific standard are we referring to, and how is it legally relevant. The fact remains that when it comes to custom cabinetry, there is more than one way to build a kitchen, provided the client receives the contracted scope of work.

It appears as if you have provided the client, with excellent value. Your work is the real deal, and a clear example of professionalism. Feel free to pass my remarks, along if you feel they may be of help.

Michael Schwartz.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.