Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum table kit for ShopBot Machines

Quote Originally Posted by gbradley View Post
    110VAC-60hz-single phase
    Bugger!
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Default Pucks/Pods on a buddy for Planks

We're planning an ongoing product that will use nominal six quarter (1.5") X 8w" hardwood lumber in 8' and 6.5' lengths. I'd like to use the 'bot for as many operations as possible even though some can be done faster with conventional equipment. This will allow us to do other things while the bot is working.

After quite a lot of reading, and finding out the hard way that interchangeable, powerstick vac. tables with spoil boards are HEAVY, I'd like to try using vacuum pucks/pods mounted directly onto the powersticks (I have 4', 6, & 8'). I'd probably make/buy quite tall ones to minimize the potential for cutting into my powersticks if something goes wrong. My plan is to bolt them into the tee-bolt slots and move them as needed (not a lot). I don't expect to ever need to cut through, only trim the outer edges off, perhaps with a round over and do carving on one side. The process would be something like this:

1. Joint one wide face of the plank so that the vac pucks would seal and hold properly.
    2. Mount the plank on the pucks for the rest of the facing & cutting operations which would include:
    a. Plane the remaining wide face
    b. Carving that face
    c. Trim off the edges to size the plank, and
    d. Hopefully, then use the air drill attachment to do top and edge sanding

Obviously, several tool changes and some experimentation but;

My question really relates more to what the other Buddy owners experience and thoughts might be on using vac pucks/pods for this application.

Also, what vac source you'd choose - high vac lower volume likely - that won't break the bank.

We don't need to worry about "what else" I plan on doing with it because I already have spoil board tables of different sizes made up.

Gerald;
    If you are going to use a high vac low volume source for vacuum with multiple pods daisy chained together, like wiring in series to use that metaphor, be careful to avoid any knots with your puck locations. Even a solid knot at 25" mercury will pull air through and loose a substancial amount of vacuum. Low volume of course won't be able to make up many such leaks.
    Bob

Gerald, I don't know if you have seen this or not, but seems to be the type of system you might be interested in.http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/downloads.htm
    I keep meaning to build one of these and a set of pods and use it on my Buddy also. I hope my link shows through, as most around here have figured out, my computer skills are considered the Lowest Common Denominator. Good luck with your project...joe

Bob,
    Thanks much for the heads up on that, I'd never have thought of that.

Joe,
    Thanks much for the link. I'll check it out this evening.

Because I'm paranoid about cutting into my powerstick and because I have lots of clearance with mt 12" Z axis, I'm pretty sure I'll either make some tall, custom pucks or install machined spacers under commercially available ones. I should also have enough room to install upper and lower position sensors to prevent any kind of diving error - very likely mine:-)

Once I have it all setup I'll post a video on the Buddy forum.

Default 24 X 32 test table

Here is a 24 X 32 test table with a 3/4 Gast PSI pump. This table has 2 adjustable zones With our Vacuum Levee.

This is the reading at half the table

and this is the reading at the full table( about a 12% drop from half to full table)

You can see more pictures here

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/album.php?albumid=87

Default 4 X 8 Vacuum Table

We have modified our 4 X 8 table to accommodate two ends of the vacuum fields 48 X 48 is dedicated to CFM (air flow) and the other end 48 X 48 is dedicated to PSI ( small parts/ fixtures). This is a two pump set up 48 X 48 is set up with a Gast 3/4 rotary vane pump with 1" pvc pipe, and the other is set up with a 1 hp regenerative blower with 2" pvc pipe. The zoned portion of the table is universal, you can have a 6" X 12" zone all the way up to 48 X 48.

Take a look at my albums for vacuum numbers on the fixture end of the table
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/album.php?albumid=87

George can you give me the specs on your Regen blower? I'm looking for one and doing some homework. I'm looking at a Chinese 2200 watt (240VAC 50Hz) unit.

Cheers

Default Specs Regenerative Blower

Here are the specs on the regenerative blower. If you can not find anything that fits your power supply maybe you can contact Gast they should have something.

http://www.gastmfg.com/support_documents/LTD142rD.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gbradley View Post
    Here are the specs on the regenerative blower. If you can not find anything that fits your power supply maybe you can contact Gast they should have something.

http://www.gastmfg.com/support_documents/LTD142rD.pdf
    George, it seems you are using a 1 Hp Regen blower...am I reading that correctly? The unit I'm looking at is 2.2Kw - 3 Hp......so I can assume then that will be sufficient to do a 4 x 4 foot table?
    Cheers