Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reversed 3D Carving

Unhappy Reversed 3D Carving

Need some help from the forum experts. I'm sure the fix is something simple but darned if I can figure it out. I carved the Vector Art 3d image# 58071U_B in a piece of white pine and the result is a negative image. What I mean is the parts that should be raised are in fact carved out. The carving is like a mold. What did I do wrong? I'm using Aspire 3.5 and imported the image from Vector Art. I have done the same thing many times using other Vector Art files and never had anything like this happen.

look to see if the component came in as an add or subtract setting, then reverse it.

Looking at that on their website it is a model that is "dished" meaning your relief carving of the moose should stick proud of the surface within this dish.
    Maybe post a pic of your result and that will probably tell us all we need to know, because a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Default Reversed #D Carving

Jack,
    Your description is correct "dished and proud of the surface". I took a photo but it doesn't really show the result correctly, it's attached. I'm thinking I did something wrong in Aspire but I'm not very sharp with the 3D modeling part.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robert,
    When I imported the image and selected "Component Properties" in Aspire the default selection was "Merge lowest points with previous components" and I changed that to "Add to previous components" Also when I view from multiple angles in the 3D window the image appears raised above the dished surface as it should.

What happens if you import it into a fresh Aspire session and create a toolpath from it? What happens then? Does it look the same?

If you put a vector circle around say the moose's head and use that as your machining boundary - can you do a test cut in some scrap? Does it cut correctly now?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Acrylic Relief Method

This result is exactly what is needed for the 3D carvings in acrylic that are lit from below with LED lights. From what I have seen the face is smooth, the carving is done from the back in reverse.
    I have been wondering how to that in V-carve, hoping it had the capability.
    Is this a separate feature of Aspire that Michael has found?

You can do this already with ANY 3D carving by changing the Z value from 1 to -1 on the yellow fill-in sheet you see when you start any part file. No fancy footwork in CAD/CAM to do. Toolpath it positive & then sign the Z proportion negative.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Michael, Slightly off topic, but have not bought any 3d at all but saw this one and wanted to buy my first one as it looks a little like my favorite mountain in Maine. Can I ask what the size is you made it and what size ballnose you used? From the pic it looks exactly like the "dished" preview.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

not sure about this program but you have to find "component properties" and there should be a symbol that look like a U and i think you change it to what looks like a upside down U because you want to make it a relief carving as opposed to a mold like carving.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson