Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reversed 3D Carving

Scott,
    The size I made the carving was 8" tall and 14" wide. You can pretty much make them any size you want. I used a 1/4" for roughing and a 1/8" tapered ball with a 7% step over.

Jack,
    Yes, that is what I changed it to from the default that it imported with, however, there are two different upside down U characters. One is "empty" and the other is "filled-in" if that makes any sense. It's identified as (merge highest points with previous components) as opposed to (Add to previous components) for the empty U. If this is the area that is associated with what happened then looks like I should be studying that part of Aspire. I just didn't think it was possible to turn one of these 3D files onto a "mold" like Brady indicated.

My experience is with Artcam which i think is similar. I use Lightwave and other stuff but the only thing i can tell you is load it up and try either of those buttons and see what happens.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Michael
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by mwpfeifer View Post
    I just didn't think it was possible to turn one of these 3D files onto a "mold" like Brady indicated.
    You can do this to any positive relief by making the component height negative. So if your relief is .5" positive, just sign it negative to: -0.5" and ta-da...it is inverted.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Michael, you might try going to the Vectric Forum. They would just jump all over something like this. I would try to help, but it seems like you know as much about this as I do. I would think it would be ready to carve right out of the box....Good luck...joe