Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250-round .223 Remington Ammo Crates

Default 250-round .223 Remington Ammo Crates

A local specialty ammunition manufacturing company asked me to design and build some 250-round .223 Remington ammunition crates for their trade show booths. Here are a couple of pics of what I came up with for them.

The entire project is made from 1/2" MDF for the boxes, and .175" thick Masonite for the sliding lids. Each box can be made from a single piece of MDF that is only 26" x 16", and the Masonite lid is cut from pieces even smaller than that. It probably costs about two bucks to build one of these ammo crates.

Virtually the entire project is cut out with a .250" end mill. The thin channel that is cut for the sliding Masonite lids is cut using a specialty .0937" end mill from Precise Bits, everything else is cut out using the .250" end mill.

Cut time for the MDF parts is about half an hour, lids take about fifteen minutes counting the custom logo and caliber information. No fasteners needed, only wood glue to assemble them. Finish sanding and application of stain and poly takes about another ten minutes.

I can send you the PartsWorks file if you want to try cutting them out yourself.

Gabriell, great little project!
    I just realized you are right up the road from me.
    Nice to have another ShopBotter close by.
    Give me a email or call if you ever need anything.

Bryan

Haha, you are close! I am in Pitt a couple nights each week. I play pool at The Break on Thursdays and Saturdays. Come up to the pool hall anytime and ask for me. I would love to meet ya! First beer is on me

I go up to Kansas City once or twice most winters, you all are on the way. I may have to see if I can get you to set another stool at the bar!

Nice boxes Gabriel. I have though about how to put loose cartridges into a sorter so it could place it primer-up in a storage rack automatically. I figure it would make a great bot project, but so far its on the long list of things to do eventually

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Yeah, that sounds like a good project for the bot for sure. Holler next time you are coming up and maybe we can meet up.

you might want to look at this design. it is fast and makes good joints and uses tape to hold it together while the glue dries. it looks nice too I have made small and large boxes with this method.

Steve,

Is that from I believe, Brady's boxmaker program? I love the scarfed joints on those...
    Ron Sloan

no I do it just by regular methods. it is dirt easy you draw the pieces the size you want the box and run a v bit on the line. there are some tricks but they are pretty easy. I have made big boxes with dividers and shelves with this method. all it takes is blue tape and glue to assemble it.

Now you just need to find enough bullets to fill them! Good luck with that!
    Scott

Yeah, that wont be a problem. I built these for a specialty ammo company here in my town. They can produce about 25,000 rounds per day at max capacity right now.