Thread: Grease fittings

Default Grease fittings

The desktop has grease fittings on the bearings that ride on the rails, but the couplers that I have or found at the local hardware store are too big to fit into those tight areas. Anyone know where to find a fitting that will work?
    Max Girouard
    Girouard Mandolins
    www.girouardmandolins.com

Max, I brought that up with shopbot and they do not recommend greasing the fitting,That is the way it comes from their suppliers. 2drops lightweight oil on vtracks once a week,wipe off excess after moving to the limits a few times. Dry moly screws daily if running 8 hours(don't quote me on moly schedule). Will look for that e-mail.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

nate.zellmer@shopbottools.com

Aug 22

to me

No worries. I just went out to confirm this for myself. The tool will not put up a “Hit” prompt unless you are running a part file. The tool will simply stop and the Input 3 button will change color. The nice part about this stop is that your zero hasn’t been lost.

We’ve folks that make the bearings speced on the slide rails acutually don’t recommend greasing them for our application. They are lifetime lubricated and people putting grease in has been shown to cause more problems than it prevents. Periodically adding a few drops of 3 in 1 or similar oil and cycling the rails is enough to keep them running smooth.

Natenate.zellmer@shopbottools.com

Aug 22

to me

We’ve asked the same question of the supplier. The response is that some applications need it. Don’t actually put the oil through the port. Just put a few drops on the rail near the wiper and enough will penetrate to ensure continued lubricity.
    scott P.
    Maine

Thanks Scott, I had always since I purchased the bot been oiling the rails and doing a really good job of cleaning it. But I had watched one of those shopbot training videos on machine maintenance, and TJ mentioned that the desktop had the grease fittings. I had never really paid that much attention to them but because of the video went into a panic because I never greased the bearings. I guess I was doing everything right after all. Oh well, another couple of sleepless nights that weren't necessary!
    Max Girouard
    Girouard Mandolins

High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady- Saved. You're welcome Max. Wow! I knew a whole answer(except for the super text stuff I'll have to study). Keeping warm Max?
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Thanks Brady- Saved. You're welcome Max. Wow! I knew a whole answer(except for the super text stuff I'll have to study). Keeping warm Max?
    Ha! You know there is no warmth in these parts this time of year, unless we are sitting 5 inches from the wood stove! Thanks for the docs Brady.
    Max Girouard
    Girouard Mandolins