Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a new 3D source

Default Starting a new 3D source

Wasn't sure where to put this. I'm considering putting my 3D designs up for sale on my website. My question is: What formats are most popular? Would rlf and stl be enough. I use Artcam Pro and specialize in larger scale, very detailed wildlife designs for medium to large projects. New designs being added to our catalog frequently. We would never sell a design unless we've carved it in real wood on the bot first. I could sell elements alone so carvers could mix their own pieces, or sell the whole design already mixed. Thought a little input from you all would help me fine tune my ideas on this.
    thanks,
    Shari

Shari,
    Many web sources use the 3DS, STL, and 3DDXF formats. The rlf format works fine for those with Artcam Pro, but I'm not sure if any other program will read the data.
    Each format has it's own issues; 3DS is sometimes triangulated due to file size limitations.And
    STL's can be huge.
    I think you might want to go "web shopping" and see what file formats other 3D design sources are using.
    (Then don't be surprised to see some of your designs on those same pages a few months from now...).

Shari, what's your webiste? I would love to see what you're doing now.

I'd be interested in your designs Shari and hope you make them available. Seen a little of your work in the past.

Maybe you should contact James Booth at vectorart3d.com or carve3d.com and see about making your designs available through him. He is good to work with and already has the website set up for ordering and preview and downloadable in several formats. I believe he already has several other artists supplying designs to vectorart3d. I think most consider vectorart3d the prime source for 3d cnc artwork currently. Might save re-inventing the wheel if you can work something out.

I have bought several designs from James. He turns out excellent work and is a real pleasure to deal with. Ken might be on to something.

Shari,

I really hope you pursue this. I’ve seen some of your work in the past and it is simply awesome stuff. I’m really looking forward to it…good luck.

Ken

Shari,

I can always use a larger selection of 3D images, and any that have wildlife or nature scenes are very popular in my area.

I echo Ken's and Bill's posts regarding contacting James at VectorArt3D (also at Carve3D.com). Absolutely a great guy to deal with.

Tim

Thanks for the compliments fellas. Do you think you would want elements (all pieces sold separately) or the whole design already merged? Or both? I'm trying to get a feel for what will serve the botters best. I'm not out to cater to everyone, just the ones that do wood, I think. James B does good stuff. I even have some of his designs I've mixed with my own. But for this venture I think I'll build my own site. That way if customers want elements merged for a specific size project, I could help with that. You might even give me ideas of what you want to see. My site is www.sawtoothcarving.com. I'll have to pick up a shopping cart program or paypal, etc.
    thanks again,
    Shari

Both! BTW, nice site!

I'd say both also.
    Complete scenes probably need to be offered in the 3 forms like James does - dish, raised, and recess. Components might be nice to offer that way, but not as important.

I think rlf, v3m,and stl formats would work, but once purchased customer should be able to change formats later if needed.