Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fractions

Hey jack where are the metric equivalent on that. I use mine all the time but now I need the metric measurements for other projects.

Exactly my point from my earlier post. I think people are missing the fact that the original list that started the thread has imperial fractions, imperial decimal equivalents and metric equivalents.

Fractions converted to decimal is not the same thing as metric.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I have been told there is no true metric to English conversion. My thinking is that the conversion would leave an irrational number (like "pi" were the decimal never stops or repeats)
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Since i don't work in metric i guess i didn't think you needed that, however here is a handy conversion utility that will convert all kinds of things including what you need:
    http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stapleton View Post
    I have been told there is no true metric to English conversion. My thinking is that the conversion would leave an irrational number (like "pi" were the decimal never stops or repeats)
    You were told wrong. In 1933 American Standards Association changed the definition of an inch to exactly 25.4mm following the British Standards Institution who did the same in 1930.

Oh.. I thought it was still "three grains of barley, dry and round, placed end to end, lengthwise"

SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Oh.. I thought it was still "three grains of barley, dry and round, placed end to end, lengthwise"

SG
    No, no, no. You're probably thinking in cubits!

Get a pen kit for your tool and make whatever chart you want for your shop. Hang it on the wall...You could include ANY conversion you want on the same chart.

Interesting the path some of these threads take. The road to hell ain't paved with asphalt...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Kyle- I have the problem of having an inch based drill index, and both inch and metric taps. In the past I just figured out what drill to use each time I needed one. This thread got me thinking I could create a table of mm hole sizes and the nearest drill size above and below the exact size.

I have attached the PDF file of my results. Note there are 5 tables, each for different drill index step sizes.

Enjoy! And Merry Christmas

D

(PS this was done with a short program in C#)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Default quite a chart

That is quite a chart Dana,

I suppose I could ask the next dumb question, do they make drill bits that come every 1/128th of an inch or even 1/256th ???

I don't think I even want to know...
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

For you visual learners like me... I made a chart.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images