Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: VCarved buttons

Default VCarved buttons

Mom, Knitted scarves for 3 grand daughters for Christmas but couldn't find any buttons she liked sooo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

What a great gift. Sweaters for the grand daughters and they are made by grandparents.

Happy Holidays

Great stuff Scott! I like seeing new ideas. While wood buttons are nothing new, I haven't seen anyone cutting them on a CNC.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I couldn't tell based on the photos what size were the buttons? And did you measure the buttonhole first

good job...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks all, It was nice to do something for My mother. She's more impressed with the Desktop now. In the beginning she said "Is that all it can DO-Carve?", two days ago it was "Wow, it can make BUTTONS! Isn't it smart to know how to do that!(Cringe)". Jack, 1.5" OD , holes .02" diameter profiled ONLINE so she could use yarn. The extras were for my 5 aunts that knit bulky sweaters to pass around to their friends(Their sweaters go for $100+). I was told "Owls are IN". Birds eye maple .2" left over from barrister bookcase panels. Happy Holidays all.
    scott P.
    Maine

I like the buttons. Great idea.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    ...The extras were for my 5 aunts that knit bulky sweaters to pass around to their friends...
    Uh-oh...Once they start telling their friends, you'll never stop making buttons! Ha!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Nice, I have been thinking about jewelry but buttons have a function.

How thick IS an onionskin on hard maple, board was .2" birdseye, so it took the pointed roundover to .19" and without going into the embarrassing details(next time belt sander as my coarsest 5" was 100G and the holes didn't match),I spent 1.5 hours releasing the little bandits. NOOO I don't have a thickness sander and have never done an onionskin before(Yes Brady I should have researched- AND yes I should have done a trial cut on the edge of the board- and yes I should have surfaced BOTH sides of the .2" panel). Live and ...........I forget the last part.
    scott P.
    Maine

I saw this neat little contraption @ the Ottawa camp years ago: http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html It is a DIY drum sander kit that works really well. Nice affordable option for smaller stuff where you onion skin the parts with the intent of releasing them on the sander. Yeah I know...I linked to the same place AGAIN...but I had the site up & happened to remember.

-B