Thread: VCarved buttons

Hybrid View

Nice, I have been thinking about jewelry but buttons have a function.

How thick IS an onionskin on hard maple, board was .2" birdseye, so it took the pointed roundover to .19" and without going into the embarrassing details(next time belt sander as my coarsest 5" was 100G and the holes didn't match),I spent 1.5 hours releasing the little bandits. NOOO I don't have a thickness sander and have never done an onionskin before(Yes Brady I should have researched- AND yes I should have done a trial cut on the edge of the board- and yes I should have surfaced BOTH sides of the .2" panel). Live and ...........I forget the last part.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I saw this neat little contraption @ the Ottawa camp years ago: http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html It is a DIY drum sander kit that works really well. Nice affordable option for smaller stuff where you onion skin the parts with the intent of releasing them on the sander. Yeah I know...I linked to the same place AGAIN...but I had the site up & happened to remember.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady and the group I have their 30 inch drum sander and I just love it! It works terrific. Got the notor from HF and fired it up. I cut the box on the bot and just used their basic kit (comes with the box drawings). Best part is very little dust in the air while sanding, almost entirely goes in the box with or without the DC running. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Thanks Brady and Russ, Ran across that seems forever ago(5 months?). Glad to know it works. WAS .01" too thick for an onion skin on hard maple? Do NOT want to do that again without using my 4" belt sander
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott - the buttons are awesome...not going to show my wife! Merry Christmas! Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

I don't think .01 is too thick - but I think that you could have left a .01 tab at the start point to keep them held in. You could also avoid the tabs with carpet tape, with a little post cut cleanup with a damp alky rag.

One trick that I use with small parts is to use the smallest diameter bit I can while cutting out the parts. This has made a huge difference for me because it exerts less force on the part than a larger tool would. This combined with very light chipload (crank that RPM up on those small tools to get the surface feet per minute up [SFM]) and most things need just one or even no tabs. Tooling geometry can be exploited too...park the upcut spiral and go with a straight flute tool that has poor chip extraction - Keep those chips in the kerf to help hold the part in place.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com