Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sketchup for woodworkers

Default sketchup for woodworkers

I don't know if i want to learn a whole new program but several guys do use it and this guy has several tutorials that look pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPHcnIJhcT0
    http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack,
    Here is another one.
    http://woodworkingwithsketchup.com

Andy B.
    Andy Brooks
    Oak Branch Manufacturing and Assembly, LLC
    andy@oakbranchmfg.com
    770-540-9672
    www.oakbranchmfg.com
    PRTAlpha 48x96 w/ 5 HP Spindle

I've used it professionally for years both in my own shop and working for other companies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Ok now Randy, you're teasing me with your picture of the Bar!

The tutorials i've watched seem fairly striaghtforward and it seems like more then anything you need to learn what the tools are.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack...
    I’ve taught SketchUp to 6th and 7th graders with good success! Actually I just get them started and they teach themselves... But when I show them the warehouse, all creativity stops.

SG

Steve,
    If you've taught 6th graders, and I can't seem to grasp it...not sure what that means
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Jack...
    I think how quickly you grasp a new program depends a lot on your previous experiences. For me... Auto cad, no problem... SolidWorks, no problem... Vectric products, no problems... Rhino. ????? I just can’t get it going!

SG

As a solid works user I have difficulty working with it, though I have not really played with it much as far as I can see it does not do parametric modeling.

If it does I would invest some more time on it.

I've played with solidworks here and there but I've got sketchup down so well it's hard for me to shell out the cash for it. I'm so used to defining parameters as i go rather then drawing and defining dimensions after the fact. When going from sketchup to cnc, any parts that have defined curves I draw in Draftsight first then import the part into sketchup. This way i don't have large segmented arcs and exploded curves. With skethcup, if you're looking to have the end result exported to CNC, you have to do a little more work. Also, for other non cnc cut parts that you would want to export into a cut list or spreadsheet, sketchup has a report feature in the pro version that works well if and only if you draw the parts a certain way. For example: Drawing parts made from lengths of 1x4 dimensional lumber. You need to draw the parts with the length on the red axis, create a group and then place the part in the proper position. If done this way, the report will show you Length x Width x Height as " 56" x 3.5" x .75". If you draw it with the length on the green axis the report will show " 3.5" x 56" x .75". Also, textures are defined by the axis in which the part is drawn. In that bar drawing, There are actually two different textures. One with vertical grain and another with horizontal. Reason being is, I had trimmed and grouped the parts that are vertical on their current axis. This will rotate the material accordingly.

Jack, If you want to spend some one on one time, I can show you a few things with sketchup over teamviewer sometime.
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Randy
    Thanks for that generous offer. Right now i have 2 fingers in a cast of sorts from breaking it in a fall.(I call it my turtleshell).
    My physical therapist nicknamed me Michaelangelo because i'm a "Old Age Mutant Ninja Turtle" when i wear it.

It's kind of hard to "hunt and peck" with my ringfinger.
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------