Thread: My Desktop is Disabled until I Find a Cure

Default My Desktop is Disabled until I Find a Cure

Symptom: The spindle doesn't start for running a sbp file.

Story:
    So, best laid plans and all. I have cut my router bit holder drawer. I have two zones of 9 columns of 1/4" bits and three zones of 4 columns of 1/2" bits. I noticed the tool number popping up when I start to cut a pattern and it seemed to relate to the tool database. So, I organized my bit as 1 - 9 and 11 - 19 were the 1/4" and I figured 101 - 104 and so on for the 1/2" bits. This has worked well for a week or so. I re-organized my tool database and got rid of the duplicate tool numbers. Life was good. Did you notice the "was"?

This weekend, I went to a woodworking show and picked up my first 1/2" downcut spiral bit. I had an occasion to use it for a project so I set it up and all. When I started to do the cut, when it would normally say "is tool number X installed" (or something like that), it said "WRONG TOOL" and once I hit OK, it exited the SBP run.

I looked through the scripts and found in the MTC.sbp file that it has a hard limit of 70 for tool numbers -- Ah!!! So, I decided that the 1/2" bits would be 31 - 34, 41 - 44, and 51 - 54. I changed the tool database to be from 101 to 31, recalculated, saved and tried to run the sbp. The spindle (portercable router) did not turn on. I stopped the run right away.

I started to try things.... sometimes scarry.... The C6 command would not start the spindle. I tried C7 and then C6, no joy. I tried a few things (programs restarts, power cycle, etc) and then tried C5 and it worked!!! It started the spindle but didn't progress off of the second "SO 1,0" instruction of the C5 script. I bailed out of it and tried C6.... no luck....

That is where I am now. Is there any way to push a reset to the desktop? or does anyone else know how to get it out of this mode?

Thanks,
    Chazz

PS,
    To anyone that might have an in to the vectric people, let them know that attempting a tool number over 70 will put the Shopbot Desktop in an abnormal state which will require special attention to get it back to a functioning state.

Wait...

It's not so bad: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...88&postcount=3

You need to keep in mind that NOT EVERY BIT GETS ITS OWN UNIQUE NUMBER!

Some tools are going to be tool #1...in fact many tools can be. Just make sure when you save out your toolpaths that each tool being used has a different number. Also make sure you are ONLY numbering your tools 1-19.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Chazz...
    I had a time of it with this issue awhile back... I couldn’t figure out why my 2nd Z axis would unpredictably turn on or not turn on or even why my tool numbers that had worked before where now out of range! I never associated it with the use of the TC PP... SB support quickly set me straight but I still haven’t seen this feature documented by SB anywhere. But to be honest, I haven’t looked very hard now that I know the new rules!

SG

I figured to have each TYPE have its own tool number. I see the point in that if the tool doesn't need to change, then you don't need to prompt. If it does, then it is really nice that it prompts the user to change the bit. However, you mentioned 1-19, but the scripts check for up to 70 -- well at least in that one place.

I tried the link and the link that was in it; but found no specific kind of remedy that I could try. Was there supposed to be one in there somewhere?

Thanks,
    Chazz

The MTC file does check for numbers up to 70 but any number greater than 19 are for another cutting head. For example if you used tool #22 this would turn on a spindle mounted to a second Z.

Brady's link http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...88&postcount=3 Explains what the tool number range are used for.

If you keep all numbers below 19 you will not have a problem. To get your cutting file to work you will need to change the tool numbers in the file.

Ah, got it.

So, the program has reduced the total number of unique bits down to 19. Well, I did notice that the MTC script also made mention of toolname. That would be even more descriptive. I don't know if the toolname goes to the desktop or not. The desktop seems to remember the last tool (number) that it used. The program SEEMS to be using this to decide if the tool needs to be changed. If it is different from the tool number in the plan, then it goes through the tool change routine. This works well so long as the tool numbers are unique OR that it somehow also recalls the toolname. I will check into this more.

Bottom line, my machine is working again; but I will have to wait until tomorrow as I don't want to be the one that wakes the baby up... lol

Thanks,

Chazz