Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical feed to machine

Default Electrical feed to machine

Total newbie here. I just purchased a Standard and have a basic question about getting power to the machine. Seems like it should be coming from overhead? I'm just trying to get an idea of what this all looks like. Thanks in advance!

I have a buddy PRStandard 48.
    I ran a dedicated circuit for it, 120v, overhead and feed the machine with a 12 gauge cord reel from Grizzly.
    You might want to call Dianne at Shopbot and ask about the power requirements for the machine you ordered. Different models require different inputs.
    Guys have reported all kinds of goofy power issues, so very much consider the dedicated circuit(s) and make sure you have excellent grounding.

Do you have a spindle or just a router. Is your what control box do you have. On mine I bring the power in on long side that has the E chain that is against the wall.

I'll be running a 4hp 3ph spindle and the machine won't be against a wall. The cord reel sounds right. I guess what I am asking is does the power come in to something that moves, therefore the cord reel idea sounds good in order to manage the slack? Just thinking this through here, does the power come in to the control box first then go to the motor?

There is documentation available for your Standard via ShopBot Support Documentation

Here is some documentation for Hooking up your PRS Standard Tool - It mainly covers low volt stuff. Pertinent documentation for your electrician will be in the control box when your tool arrives at your shop, but this should give you some idea. Depending on code in your state, you are going to run either flex or conduit from the control box, under the tool to the back of the tool & over to your disconnect switch on the wall. The VFD will get mounted on the center from leg & has it's own whip that gets tied into the control box only a few feet away - pretty simple.

Depending on your spindle/router option there will be 2 or 3 knock outs on the left most side (-X) of the control box below the power switch. You'll either have 1 or 2 power inputs (option dependent) and one output for spindle or router. Although the location of the knock outs are in a different spot on the Standards, page 10 of the Alpha Control Box Setup document give you an idea how the power comes in & connects to the switch. I know there is a better illustration of this somewhere...I just can't remember right now.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

If I'm reading your question right you are asking about routing the electrical, etc to your equipment. Assuming that you are mounting your controller on your SB then you don't need any extra "play" in the line. You can run it across the floor to the nearest leg and then up to the controller box. It's wise to put a cord cover over it to keep it in place and prevent tripping.

The cables that go from the control box to the motors, router, y prox switches, and zero plate do need play in them and the documentation explains this.

Some use a hanging loop at the side of the machine and some get Cable Chain and support track or brackets. When you get to that part of your install it becomes a lot clearer.

On mine I have the control box wall mounted, all the wiring except the router power goes across the floor to the x-o/y-48 leg and the router cable goes overhead and down. Sorry-I don't have a picture here at home.

Where in SW Oregon are you? I was just in Pistol River.

Thanks for the nice reply, Dave. Your description helps a lot. What I am thinking of doing is establishing a post near the corner of the machine which I can then use as a "foundation" to mount the controller and computer set up. It's hard to be patient and wait to get started!

So I'm near Jacksonville, over in the Applegate Valley. Pistol River, huh? Nice stretch of coast around there and P.R. seems like a cool and active community.

Randy, I ran a 50amp 220V drop from the ceiling and then mounted a circuit breaker box directly on my Shopbot frame. Doing this now gives me the option to run separate 110v to the Shopbot control box, router motor, and dust vac, also a 220v to a table vac. all from the one breaker box mounted directly to the Shopbot frame. I like this setup because now I only have one power cord going to the machine, rather than 4 separate cords running everywhere.

Thanks for the responses, all. I am getting a much better picture of how all the bits and pieces come together. That's what I needed right now since I don't have the machine in hand yet....needing the big picture.......

That's the beauty of the shopbot system of having everything on-line at the links Brady posted. By the time mine arrived I had mentally assembled it a hundred times and everything was really easy.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/