Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controller Version 3.8.10 Uninstall

Default Controller Version 3.8.10 Uninstall

I upgraded to Software Version 3.8.10 from 3.6.38 to try it out and have not been happy thus far. The machine now jerks when stopping and starting with the keypad on moves and jogs. This was not the case before. I have adjusted the keypad ramp rate to 0.1 and that seems to make it marginally better, however it still happens. I would like to go back to my old version but wondered if that is possible and if so, where I could get the version as I cannot find my original install files.

Machine = PRS Alpha with Spindle (year 2010)
    Travel = 12" x 60" x 96"
    Computer = Windows VISTA
    packet et = 19.6

If anyone can let me know other things to try in the new version, I am open to that but I did not have these issues in the old control version. The machine seems to run programs fine with no issues and no "Jerks".

Thank You,
    Jon

You can still download 3.6.x from shopbot. Just look under support get control software.

The default keyboard ramp rate in all the 3.8 versions I've used have been a factor of 10 out on what the software says the default should be.

In inches mode it's set to 2 when the default is supposed to be 0.2 and in metric mode it's 50.8 when the default is listed as 5.08

It's always worth saving your existing settings when upgrading so you can load them into the new version or check any settings that seem off in the new version.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Good grief...
    The types of issues SB is having with the latest releases makes me wonder if they have farmed out their programming to India. It’s certainly the details that get lost with speed!

SG

Interesting Adrian,

Just checked both of my installs, and they are both at .200 for the Keypad ramp values. v 3.8.10
    Ron Sloan

My mistake.

I installed 3.8.10 on a new PC at the weekend and it did the same strange keyboard movement that all versions of 3.8 have done for me so I assumed it was the same error that I saw in the previous versions and just loaded my settings files.

I've just installed a fresh copy of 3.8.10 to one of my test PC's and the VR rates do look right on there so it's been corrected somewhere along the line.

No idea why the keyboard movement was strange on the new machine then. It was brand new so there were no old settings in ProgramData to mess things up.

I can't believe it's meant to be like that.

Still have to delete the registry key to get the spindle control working though. Thought that one would have been fixed by now.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I went back to version 3.6.46. There are no more issues and the machine runs smooth. I guess like others have said, "if its not broke, don't fix it". Thank you Jerry for pointing me in the direction of where to find the old control software.

Hi Jon,

Sorry you've had a problem with the new software. After you install the software and do the firmware update, it is best to do a [UR] to reset the default settings for your tool.

This is because in the major transition between versions3.6.x and 3.8.x, there may be settings that have gotten a bit out of sync with what the software is expecting. (For maintenance updates within a version this reversion to standard default values should not be necessary.) I believe resetting these values should set the ramping back to the correct values for you and the tool will behave as you expect.

With 3.8.x software, you will find the USB now works best =without= the USB 2.0 Hub. Just make sure you are plugged into a standard USB 2.0 port on your computer (probably safer not using a USB 3.0 port; they have a blue tongue in them; we've found that USB 3.0 works well with ShopBots on Win8 computers but that it is an erratic system on earlier Win7/xp).

Once in 3.8.x, take the Keypad function for spin. We have modified how it works to, I hope, make it more convenient to use as a tool. Yes, the shortcut for zeroing has changed, but the new system allows you to simply type a single axis letter, followed by a distance and "enter" to have the tool quickly make a move to a specific location without having to go back to the control panel. Zeroing is easily accomplished with the letter "O" or the number "0" (you can use a 2 or 3 to easily check multiple axes in the form). And, there are the new memory keys that allow stored moves and location. Just pass the cursor around the Keypad for tool-tips about using the keys.

Meanwhile, I'd like to encourage everyone who experiences an issue with the transition from 3.6 to 3.8 to give tech support at ShopBot a call. We can help step you through it; and, if there are things that are not working correctly for you we can learn about them and go to work on the problem. (This kind of information tends to get buried on the forum and it is hard for us to get back with you for information that will help us improve the software.) Thanks!

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

Just gone through installing it from scratch again and I still get very strange keyboard moves.

I think I've figured out what is going on though. The software looks at the upper value of the keyboard ramp rate in VR and if it's higher than that limit for the units being used then it sets it at the upper value rather than the default.

For those of us in metric land it's very easy to end up with keyboard ramp rates 10 times higher than the defaults.

Jon,
    Were you running in metric mode as well, or were you in inch mode? I am wondering if this is a metric only issue or if it is happening when the units are in inches as well.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com