Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic tools

Default Basic tools

So we have the ShopBot. It works great, I seem to be able to make what I want, but I do wonder wether sometimes I am using the ShopBot where I might be better employed using another tool.
    I am wondering what you consider to be the desirable list of tools to accompany the 'bot, in a workshop with mixed materials, and mixed products.
    Some signs, some furniture, some small parts.
    Have any of you gone back to older tools that you used before the ShopBot for some tasks?
    How many are making jigs on the ShopBot to use on a table or overhead router, for instance? Which tools that you have had for some time now seldom get used?
    Which tools can't you do without?
    I feel i've become a little blinkered in my thinking with the arrival of the ShopBot, 6 months down the line I'm trying to re-think.
    .................Mike

I'm still using all of my pre-ShopBot tools, except that my router table is seeing a bit less use.

I haven't used my shaper much - but that's not because of the 'Bot. I haven't used it since '74 or so.

Probably the most used tools in my shop are the table saw and the radial arm saw.

You're invited to visit my visitor web page for a look around.

...Morris

Marshall's Millwork, Pt. Pleasant New Joisey

We use all sorts of tools, I guess it depends on the task at hand
    Shaper, planer, table saw(s), band saws, jointers, chop saw, glue press/clamps.
    Our shop is here
    http://marshallsmillwork.com/shop.htm
    As far as not using some... I guess the lathe is kinda dust covered...maybe the molding machine too. but even the drill press has adapted, it holds the mop sander now.
    Cheers
    Gene

Mike, since I was building furniture for a long time without the bot using all of the usual equipment my experience may not be the same as someone who bought a bot but didn't have a shop full already. But for me, I can tell you that I still use virtually every tool in the shop regularly. That includes my router table, cabinet saw, band saw, planer, sanders, sliding chopdrill press, blum press, etc. Like any tool, the bot comes under the heading of "didn't know how much I needed it until I got it" but it hasn't replaced anything, rather it has enhanced my work and made some previous jobs easier and others possible that weren't before. Unlike Gene, I havn't done much turning and don't have an indexer either, but I bet if I added one I would darn sure figure out what to do with it and then wonder how I got along without it. But I think I would go for a wide belt or drum sander and edgebander first.

Dave

marshawk Guest

My take is that it all depends on time. Some things are better off left to the router table than the ShopBot. It may take 20 minutes to set up and zip off an ogee edge on the router and 20 minutes to just design the same thing for the 'bot. If you already have the design, you may just want the 'bot to runit overnight so that your waking hours are used to prepare the next project.

I am a believer/frequent beneficiary or Murphy's Law. Inasmuch as tools are concerned, the minute that I get rid of one, and I don't have a replacement, will be the minute that I need to use it.

The the very least, take a look at your old tools and determine if it has any age or antique value. You may just want to restore one in your spare time and sell it or put it in a museum. There is a whole Old Woodworking Machinery culture out there that is dedicated to restoring and maintaining old equipment. Check out this website: http://www.owwm.com

Anyway, I enjoy using both the ShopBot and all of the other tools in the shop. The lathe IS collecting dust, however...

Chip

Thanks Chaps.
    Let me re-phrase the question a little.
    Which tools do you now use a lot less since the arrival of the ShopBot?
    Owning a ShopBot, which 5 tools wouldn't you get rid of?
    If Santa was feeling really generous, what machine would he put in your stocking?
    ..................Mike

Santa could give us a sharpener for our bits.

Top 5 here based on style and dimension are.
    1) 1/4" end mill up and down cut for just about anything
    2) 1/4" upcut O flute for plastic and mdf
    3) .020" radiused corner end mills 1/8" 3/16" and 1/4" for area clear in plastics/sign letters
    4) V cutters 60. 90, 120 and 140 degree sign letters
    5) Ball noses 1/8" 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2"
    But lets not forget the router table finger joints, flush cutters, and assorted edge profiles. Or the decorative bits for the Legacy ornamental turnings.
    Together they are complimentery and give us about all we need for most projects. Just a matter of collecting as needed then finding new uses for them.
    Certainly any would be welcome in the Christmas stocking.
    A couple photos of a 14' X 30" sign in color core. With 8' max sheet length the center joint was created at 7' by adding a back mounted frame and lap joint, with a finger joint edges to establish a "mitered" joint at the surface where top color layer is only .050" thick and some dimensional allignment as glue does not adhere to color core.
    Oh well for some reason I couldn't upload the attachment but the finger joint worked pretty well. If I figure it out, I'll post separately
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.

For some reason I get a message when I try to download a photo that says "Pop up window blocked" My main menu tool bar says they are not but I can't add any download?
    Certainly its me but if anyone reading this knows the cause/cure, please let me know.
    Thanks

I no longer use the mounting jigs for my hand router used to swing arcs and circles. I no longer use my sabre saw and sanders to make jigs of shapely parts. Instead I cut the parts directly on the bot with no patterns. I don't use my flute cutting/dado jigs. My plunge router gets almost no use as a plunge router but I can't say no use. When I get to the point on a table top where it is all veneered and edged with solids that have been fine tuned for sweet fit over umpteen hours I don't have the nerve to cut any needed inlays with the bot and so I cut patterns with the bot and then still use my 3HP plunge router to cut in the inlay. I hope to get over this trepidation soon.
    I will get rid of any of my tools shortly before my ashes are scattered into the Pacific Ocean or right after I hit the lottery (assuming I start playing it sometime).

Dave