Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and Inspired

Default New and Inspired

Purchased a Buddy Shopbot last week. Basically bought as much size as my budget would allow and if need be can upgrade at later date. (These things are not cheap)!!!
    What I want to say is that I have been reading posts and lurking in the files of the yesterdays.
    The wisdom and inspiration along with information is over whelming!
    Everyone who posts has something to add!
    To those of you who have blazed the trail through trial and error, thank you!
    I plan on going to as many events as possible to learn! I believe you always have something to learn!
    I enjoy your words and I can not wait to start my journey in the world of Shopbot!
    Bud Love
    Houston, Texas
    Compared to the alternatives, Life is Good!

Welcome Bud and yes you have hit the nail on the head - this is easily the best and friendliest forum on the web. No matter how dumb your question you just never get flamed. The moderation is almost totally transparent.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob is right about this forum you can ask just about any question on here and get an answer and not be banned from it. Some forums say they are open only to find out they are open as long as you don't post a problem or try to help with by pointing out a problem with their product.

Bud, You bought it! Congratulations. When are you expecting? I just KNOW that like all of us you have a perfect spotless large area with DC dangling and shiny receptacles waiting Our Desktop arrives Monday in Limestone(If freezing rain doesn't stop it) and Kirk's like a kid on Christmas Eve
    Scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 10
    Maine

Default crate

Now if you need to add a new wing onto your house just wait until you see the crate it is coming it. : ) Welcome. I did not worry about dust collection for a while until I noticed health issues, so think dust collection.

I have had my bot for ten years I am still learning, it has paid for itself many times over. And cnc is just fun

Spend some quality time learning your software it will save a lot of aggravation in the future.

This month marks two years since I ordered mine - also a Buddy - and of course like woodworking in general, using the machine is a learning experience every day.

The best advise I can give is to read, study and do the tutorials and just try out a lot of things. The more you cut the more you learn and the easier and faster you get familiar with what bits/speeds/feeds/etc you can and should use.

It is one of those things that seems overwhelming at first but is very rewarding when you start cutting parts.

I am expecting ship date to be Feb 6.
    Can not wait.
    Been reading and doing tutorials.
    So much to learn but I am a hands on person.
    Make sawdust and learn by doing!
    I WILL be counting on all of you EXPERIENCED shopbotters to help give me direction!
    Like a kid waiting on Santa to show up so I can play!
    Have several projects to get out by 4.15!
    Thanks to all!!!
    Bud Love
    Houston, Texas
    Compared to the alternatives, Life is Good!

Bud,There is a definite learning curve. It's different than any kind of woodworking I've ever done. It's true that once you've done one item perfect you can cook! but that first one... learn the bits and feeds and speeds for your material and what "right" feels and sounds like. It's a blast but the product won't start flowing Day 1, so don't expect it. In only 3 months I can now design on the fly and it will come out pretty much the way I imagined. Almost all my mistakes are now caused by those pesky decimal points and not double checking things. The people here are great-the only thing better than the machine.
    Scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 10
    Maine

From my perspective, this is THE most productive, professional and helpful forum in the CNC universe. And I appreciate you guys tolerate me although I don't own a Shopbot. Even more, apparently I was promoted to "Senior Member", yay!