Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will I be happy with a Desktop?

Default Will I be happy with a Desktop?

I have been using a big Alpha at the local TechShop for many years, but most of what I do could be done by the Desktop and I'm seriously considering buying one for my home shop (with the spindle).

Before I do, though, I want to make sure it's not a mistake. The table size is obvious. What else am I going to miss from the big brother and is it critical?

I'm not too concerned about the cutting speed (I'm a hobbyist and cutting mostly one-off parts), but I do care about accuracy and quality of cut. Will the desktop (w/ spindle) give me the same results (at reduced feed rates)?

The other thing is the Z travel; it's a shame that there is only 4" of space in there. I mostly cut flat stock (plywood, aluminum and plastics) so I think it'll be OK, but I'm curious how often this limitation bites you.

Anything else that I'm going to be disappointed by?

Oh sometimes I wish I had more Z but then I want to be taller and better look'en too.
    I don't think I've ever heard of anybody being disappointed with the desktop. They may have a job that could use a bigger machine but never that the desktop could not do what they wanted it to do. Its a great machine, if you doubt it, try fined a used one at any kind of discount.

It will do everything that Alpha will do, just a little slower. Max usable Z is about 2" when you factor in Max Z movement of about 4.125", the length of the tool + safeZ height. You can monkey around with mounting the spindle a little lower (holes already there) & remove the AL extrusions on the bed to gain some more Z clearance (extrusions are completely removable with no harm done) - but this doesn't increase the stroke of the Z, which is pegged at about 4.125". It would be rare to cut many things over 2" thick anyway, so this isn't much of a problem.

I've owned all kinds of ShopBot's for the past 13 years or so & the Desktop impresses me the most out of all of them. It's made for real work & there are plenty of companies out there running them in production - so it isn't just for tinkering, it can do real work.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I have a 5'x10' with an indexer bay (it's a monster) but i bet 75% of the stuff i do is confined to a 2'x2' area in the 0,0 corner of the table. I have never had anyone ask me to do some project that i couldn't accomodate because of table size limitations. That was why i opted for the biggest model at the time.

If you have access to the larger unit then you can do larger stuff there and use the desktop for smaller stuff. Additionally several guys have figured ways of indexing their work to make larger things on their smaller units.

A thought just occurred to me...the handibot is setup so it can index and make any size piece you want with jigging. I don't know enough about it but couldn't you somehow use that?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Other than the 24" width limitation no problem indexing and feeding large stock through. Haven't had the spindle bog down at all, and love the accuracy with small bits. Could use some more Z but haven't needed it. Do wish the extrusions extended another 1-2" on X,Y 0 side for jigging so could use full table size but .
    We like it so much our second one is in transit to Boston right now and we get it Monday. I WOULD have Shopbot install additional prox switches(about a $100) on all 3 axis as we work very close to the limits and it's saved us from losing position MANY times especially Z. We will be doing production on the second. You'll Love it.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Oh, ask Dianne to have Gordon fab you a spindle/interlock like the big boys have. Gordon did a slick job and they will be standard but not quite yet. Easy on/off for air cuts and finding the best vibration free move speeds. Safer too.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

I'm a complete rookie at CNC but we've been very happy with the desktop at the high school I work at. We're cutting electric guitar bodies (1.75" thick) and are now reliably cutting them (zero the Z off the table for thicker stuff.....we killed quite a few test bodies figuring this out) ... plus signs, small cabinets and now .060 mother of pearl inlay. All of it with great accuracy.

for my personal needs, it will work just fine (IF) I can teach myself how to tile longer parts with consistent accuracy (so I can rough out bass guitar necks with it as well as some small cabinet parts. But that's the operator's issue, not the machine..... I'm not too far away from retiring from teaching, so a Desktop is on my 'stuff to purchase' list. If I ultimately think I need to upgrade, I know I can sell the desktop in a heartbeat!

it handles the rigors of high school kids like a champ as the machine is pretty bulletproof!

I say do it!

kfh

Karl made a great point. If you find in the future that you need more machine, the desktop will sell very well at a very small loss. Probably just your shipping cost and a small %age.

I stressed over the "big enough?" thing when I got my BT48. I have never had need or desire for a bigger machine, but I don't work in sheet goods like a cabinet shop.
    If I were making cabinets, I'd just cut the sheets up and then go to the bot with them to finish up. That'd be a bit more time consuming, but very doable.

I bet well over half, and probably a lot more of my work is in a 2'x2' area. For furniture parts, I need the 4'x4'. I couldn't imagine trying to index and feed that stuff.

And you've got the big one at tech shop to fall back on on those occasions when you need it!
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

I would say that the Z is the biggest limitation for me. I will be experimenting with cutting a 2'x4' bit in three steps later today. It is just less convenient and you have more things to pay attention to. So that leaves the hard limits of 24" wide and realistically about 2" usable Z. Perhaps, with more games and such, you can get 3" or so if you are only surface planing and the like. I would have liked to have a Buddy; but I really don't have the room for that -- or the extra cash.

In short, I am happy with my Shopbot.