Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: birch cabinet grade plywood

Yep I guess when you have 200 million population in the States vs 20 mil in AUS; economies of scale kick in........it's easier to gouge prices in small economies then in large ones!!
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Actually the tariff has been killed but the prices have stayed up.
    this is because while it was in limbo the importers did not import any. So supply is lower.

I actually started importing my own containers of birch, and HPL birch when all this started happening.
    Banquet Tables Pro LLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Yep I guess when you have 200 million population in the States vs 20 mil in AUS; economies of scale kick in........it's easier to gouge prices in small economies then in large ones!!
    Perhaps you're just more politically correct but I'll meet you partway on that Michael. I suspect it may be, in large part, the same problem here in Canada as in OZ, which is the economies of greed and short-term cashing in outstrip the economies of scale by a very long shot.

In fact, there are honest economists who tell us that Economies of Scale is a highly overblown concept foisted upon us by lazy supplier reps and other talking heads for big business that allows them to get away with demanding hugely higher discounts margins than the littler guy gets.

Frankly, it's mostly BS that puts virtually everyone on this forum and Shopbot Tools themselves at a very unfair disadvantage.

You're probably right Gerald I'm am somewhat diplomatic. After 30 years of government service one tends to become diplomatic yet very cynical!

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

"I actually started importing my own containers of birch, and HPL birch when all this started happening."

I need a unit or so of prefin birch for a project. Got any extra? PM or email me.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    "I actually started importing my own containers of birch, and HPL birch when all this started happening."

I need a unit or so of prefin birch for a project. Got any extra? PM or email me.

I do not,

I have actually outsourced my prefinished plywood tables to china. I now import the whole table top with T-mold & everything for $8 each.

For sheet goods, I only import double sided HPL plywood now.
    I also have some "UV MDF", that is just absolutely beautiful. It's melamine with a few coats of UV gloss on it.
    Banquet Tables Pro LLC.

Thanks anyway Alex-Thought I might have an excuse to run up to Tampa and see some friends!

From my last order I was at - $61.44 3/4 X 48 X 96 B-2 R/C NATURAL BIRCH VC 1.92 SF

Current local pricing on 3/4 import prefin 1 side 41-43/sheet. 65 is domestic.

Just out of curiosity , how much you guys are paying this days for a sheet of birch ?

NZ is over 220 $NZ ;o(