A Shopbot is a tool that when used professionally (not hobbyists) is usually bolught to enhance their existing business. There have been some exceptions that have worked out. Of those I know of, the people involved developed a firm business plan including their marketing strategy. No business can make it without one.
Contrary to the old saying, the world will not beat a path to your door because you built a better mousetrap. Why not? Easy. Nobody will know you did!
Although some basic principles of marketing are universal, different things work in different areas. If you are going to sell to other businesses nothing pays like making some samples and just showing up. You can call and ask for an appointment all day long and not get one. Everyone today is besieged by marketers e-mailing and calling them, and in most cases you won't get past the receptionist, who is already trained to not bug the boss with cold callers.
So the first thing you need to decide is what do you want to make and sell.
You say you have made some signs? Then call on sign companies and if they don't have a CNC offer to do cutting for them. Take samples.
Call on cabinet shops and offer to cut parts. No small operation, of which they are many, can cut cabinet parts nearly as well or quickly as a CNC. Even though I make cabinets as the core of my business, I cut parts for other shops because I convinced them that I could cut their cab sides quicker than they could, with all shelf, hinge, and drawer slide machining done for quick and easy assembly. The average guy is going to be able to cut the parts on a saw for an average kitchen in one day, and then have to machine them for hardware. A PRT can do it all in a few hours.
Cut a big Tiki and some other 3-d things? Make some samples and call on Interior Designers, Architects. Walk in with something really cool in your hands and get the receptionist on your side. People respond to you AND something they can see. Carry a portfolio. Contrary to what a lot of internet junkies think, the world does not always go shopping on the internet.
When seeking private clients for my custom built furniture I did a slick postcard with photos and mailed it out to the local zipcodes with the highest percapita earnings. For every hundred mailed out I would get a job. Mailed the same card to Interior designers, and then followed up with a phone call. If I got the "I didn't get it" line, I apologized, asked them to verify their mailing address, and told them I would send another. Then followed up again. I got clients worth many thousands of dollars that way. But remember, I was a furniture maker long before I bought a Shop-bot, just as Eugene developed his line long before he did.
And believe it or not, you can get jobs from the forum and/or 100k garages. I have gotten several clients that way and some end up repeat business. Reall bread and butter jobs.
You are in a major metro area. IMHO as long as you market well you can't help but get business. The downside you will find is that you end up working nights to put out the work because you need to make sales calls in the daytime.