Thread: MACH 3 on a Shopbot Desktop

Default MACH 3 on a Shopbot Desktop

strange request i know but.... i want to (temporarily) change over my shopbot control system to MACH 3

its just i have to do some Basic video tutorials on MACH 3 and cutting our patterns using it

i do my own prototyping work using the ShopBot control system and the desktop
    but 90% of my customers use MACH 3 on DIY machines and are screaming out for some basic tutorial videos..

i don't want to buy another Router so i am hoping someone here will be able to tell me how to configure the desktop to be run from MACH 3 through the desktops onboard shopbot controller

well here's hoping there is a Guru here somewhere that can help

if it can in fact even be done ?
    www.makecnc.com
    the best Little CNC Project and pattern shop on the net

As far as I know, the only way to convert shopbots over to Mach3 is a new controller. I've done it myself simply due to cost of replacing a missing controller. With that, I don't understand why they need tutorials for your patterns on Mach3. I've used SB, Mach3, NC Studio and Flashcut in my career and it all works the same, basically speaking.
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

You can't run mach off of a SB control card. It's easier & cheaper to get a Fireball or something like that to run on mach than a Desktop. The SBDT control board and drivers are a tight fit in the enclosure area & they would not hook up to a mach breakout board without some funky work arounds. You run a real risk of ruining your Desktop doing this, since there are delicate components in the enclosure that are easily damaged.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default yup they need em

Quote Originally Posted by CNYDWW View Post
    As far as I know, the only way to convert shopbots over to Mach3 is a new controller. I've done it myself simply due to cost of replacing a missing controller. With that, I don't understand why they need tutorials for your patterns on Mach3. I've used SB, Mach3, NC Studio and Flashcut in my career and it all works the same, basically speaking.
    it would probably surprise you to know that i get calls every day from people who think MACH 3 is a CADCAM program
    i have many newcomers who buy a Chinese router or build a DIY and MACH 3 about $2000 total then they go ok so now what...... they want to know why they cant just double click a DXF file and it will load auto into MACH 3 and start running and cut the file no homing nothing.i get these calls and emails around twenty times a week i do recall many years back thinking similar things when i first heard of CNC routers ...step and direction sounded more like dance floor moves than woodworking with Robots...i know there are some tutorials and info around already but for some reason folks have decided that if they buy a DXF from me then i need to teach them how to understand and operate their shiny new Robotic Tool ..so i am trying my best to oblige as i can understand how daunting it can all be for newcommers to CNC

if i could get it to run a desktop its a good plug for Shopbot as well as i will talk about it in the videos and mention that the Desktop uses Shopbot control system normally but that to save on cost i have done it this way...well at least that was my logic
    www.makecnc.com

Paul...
    Check your PM
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Default not my baby

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    You can't run mach off of a SB control card. It's easier & cheaper to get a Fireball or something like that to run on mach than a Desktop. The SBDT control board and drivers are a tight fit in the enclosure area & they would not hook up to a mach breakout board without some funky work arounds. You run a real risk of ruining your Desktop doing this, since there are delicate components in the enclosure that are easily damaged.

-B
    Brady well i guess it was a silly idea ...but i was just trying to save some space in the shop.

i will use a little Taig Mill for the videos and keep the Shopbot pristine for our main training videos..the sooner the world moves over to Shopbot control systems and software the better i think...i cant wait until Shopbot come out with some sort of inexpensive controller for the hobbyist..my customer support calls would drop to zero

i have no intention of damaging my baby..i am not fond of MACH 3 as a program due in no small part to its sad lack of customer support which keeps causing our phone to ring
    www.makecnc.com

They do have a OEM, Hobbiest board, last time I checked it was $800.00

It wouldn't be hard to make a dual controller..connecting at the drivers.

"If" I were to do it. presuming the computer is "USB" only, I would use a UC100 to PDMX 122 board, this gives you rock solid mach3 (usb control)from the computer to your drivers all that's needed is a 9 to 12 volt dc power supply for the PDMX board.