Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etching Glass

Default Etching Glass

I have attemped to etch glass using a vcarve bit at 20,000 RPMs at .005 to .0025 depth. I've got mixed results from cracking the glass to ruff edges.
    Also because I'm dealing with such small amounts of depth, any differences in the table or material cause the bit either go to deep or miss the surface all together.

Any Comments?

I'm assuming I should just purchase the diamond drag bit with the spring loaded tip from our friends at shopbot?

Does anybody have experience with any other bits?

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

John

Default can cooler foam

I placed the glass on some "can cooler" foam at each corner that allowed some vertical movement.

Just used 2x tape / not a lot of side to side pressure with this, worked pretty well.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I've never tried with anything but a diamond drag bit. I've had great results, including text down to about 0.01" tall!
    Ron Sloan

You need more RPM than your spindle is capable of delivering...Look into a TurboCarver or similar that spins 400,000 RPM. It uses diamond tooling & can drill a hole in a light bulb, egg or whatever without cracking it. I would still advise using water as a coolant if you intend to profile cut.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Yep, drag bits work great on glass - Not all that visible though unless it has some type of backing or edge lighting.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

go to the legacy woodworking site . They have a post on doing glass etching on a cnc , i think that i saw it on you tube . I will try to find it and post a link

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Go to you tube and type in legacy glass etching and it should pop up

Thanks for all the input!!
    I will probably order the drag bit from Shopbot.

If I zero out this bit to the surface, and the bit is spring loaded, what is a good depth of cut to start out with?

I understand it depends on the material, but say I'm etching a glass mirror, in vcarve pro what might be a good depth to start at to get the spring under compression?

Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    If I zero out this bit to the surface, and the bit is spring loaded, what is a good depth of cut to start out with?

I understand it depends on the material, but say I'm etching a glass mirror, in vcarve pro what might be a good depth to start at to get the spring under compression?
    First, flatten that spoilboard...then read the distructions: RE

CNC Machine Diamond Drag Engraving in 3 Easy Steps

STEP 1: Create your CAD/CAM file (G-Code) using the same software and methods used to create standard 2-D cut files. (Detailed instructions on creating cut files, including recommended feed / speed rates, are included with the bit.)

STEP 2: Secure your part to the spoilboard with vacuum pressure, clamps, screws, double-sided tape, etc. Insert the CNC Diamond Drag Engraving Bit in your 1/2" collet (router/mill) or mounting bracket (plasma torch) and set your bit height / Z = 0 level.

STEP 3: Run your cut file to engrave your part. The spring-loaded, "floating head" style bit applies constant pressure on the diamond tip. As your CNC machine drags the diamond tip against your part, it creates very precise, permanently engraved lines on the part's surface.
    -B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com