Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few end of the year projects...

Default A few end of the year projects...

...non business related for some gifts and weddings.

One of several end grain tumbling block cutting boards. Walnut/maple/cherry/bloodwood. Designed and cut some special clamping rings to aid in initial glue up of the block sections.

A wedding platter out of cherry and a walnut easel. The platter is quite thin with the back matching the face profile with a base ridge. Didn't get a picture of the back.

A wedding box from walnut/maple/cherry MDF. They wanted something to put 'advice' notes in and then other uses afterwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Default One more...

...Payment for some work done for me on my bike. A window shadow box out of birch. The frame was aged with black tea for some tannin and then a solution of white vinegar and steel wool with a little abuse from various tools to ding it up and some square nail holes. Top coated with lacquer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Very nice stuff, Scott. It's about freakin' time you posted some pics of things you made

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Finish

Very nice Scott. Tell me about the finish on the platter.

Glad you are the one training me in, that is great stuff.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

It's about freakin' time you posted some pics of things you made
    I seldom have time for all the personal projects that I'd like to do, but had a slow time at the end and beginning of the year. The nature of what I mainly do doesn't really allow for show & tell much and most of it isn't truly finished when it leaves here (laser engraving or further assembly/embellishment). I do keep as much of a picture portfolio as I can though.

Rick, the finish on the plate (box and window too) is two coats of Sherwin-Williams dull rubbed effect Hi-Build precat lacquer. I mainly use the Hi-Build because I do a lot of carved and stained veneered MDF plaques and it seals and builds nicely in the carved areas and the edges. It has a much more forgiving pot life (90 days or so) compared to the post cat conversion varnish (hours) that I used to use, but it's not quite as hard. Seems to hold up well though.

Lookin' forward to it Kyle.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    I seldom have time for all the personal projects that I'd like to do, but had a slow time at the end and beginning of the year. The nature of what I mainly do doesn't really allow for show & tell much and most of it isn't truly finished when it leaves here...
    I totally get it. I was just busting your chops a little. I'm in the same boat - which is why I don't post 99.5% of the stuff that I do.

I stole away a few days after Christmas to work on some of my own stuff. I gotta admit...it was pretty nice to be able to keep what came off of the machine! Now back to work...(whip cracking noises)

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Really nice looking stuff, Scott....joe

I really like the carving on the top of the box. Is it an original design? In leather working they would call it Sheridan style but I have trouble describing it in carved panels. Thanks for sharing.

Dan, the top (and inside) is a hack job modification of the designs use in one of the free 'Project of the Month' called 'The Paradise Box'. The maple heart relief is set in a shallow pocket. Quadrant hinge pockets done on the bot also.
    Scott