Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few end of the year projects...

Lovely work Scott. The Paradise box sure is a handy file to bounce off. We have five versions now! Curious where you used the MDF?
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Thanks Bob, the paradise box has seen quite a bit of variation in usage from the box itself to the vcarve design used for it.

The panel for the top is a piece of 3/4 cherry veneer MDF. Carved, sealed with lacquer, sprayed the carving with brown (Laser Dark), sand off overspray, and then two final coats of lacquer.
    Scott

Default Information

I have researched the internet and can not really find the information that I want on Sherwin-Williams dull rubbed effect Hi-Build precat lacquer. I am assuming that it only comes in a gallon. I am assuming it only comes in satin. Can you think of any links that I can get some good info from?

I called the store that is 60 miles away and they sent me some pdf files, but still not exactly what I wanted.

Thanks.

This is the best I can find online. It's part of their OEM coatings division. It's product # T77 F 58 for the Dull Rubbed. It states a sheen of 17-21. Anything higher than that would have to much sheen for me. I get it in 5 gallons, but they do have 1 gallon. You can buy the catalyst and catalyze your own if you want. I get 5's already catalyzed for approximately $26/gallon.

Attached is the PDF.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott

Default infor

Thanks, that is pretty much what they sent me. Do my own? You just talked right over my head.

It needs to be catalyzed with 3 ounces of catalyst per gallon. The store will generally do that for you when you buy it, but if you don't think you'll use the whole gallon or 5 gallon pail within 4 months, then you could buy a gallon of catalyst and mix it yourself in smaller amounts. I have them do it since I easily use it up within that time frame.
    Scott

Thanks Scott - thought thats what you did. Have you seen the curved top variation over on the Vectric Forum? Messing with that at present by adding domed ends. Boxes are an excellent Shopbot product as you can use up just about all your otherwise useless bits of off cut EXPENSIVE exotics. Lots of excellent design books on Amazon particularly Heirloom boxes. And now we have Seans fantastic drag knife linings take only seconds.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer