Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Version 3.8.10

Default Version 3.8.10

Has anyone else had problems with new version 3.8.10. Cannot get the buddy to wirk since downloading the other night. Lot of herky jerky movements with jog move and keyboard. Called tech supportust have tried a dozen things withiut luck. Now i think it might be my Norton antivirus settings?

Angelo

Get rid of Norton. If your control PC doesn't go online, there's not much need for it, but if you transfer files from anther computer that could be compromised, the free Microsoft security essentials is more than enough and doesn't cause issues. Very small footprint and not a resource hog like Norton. Set it to manual updates.

After installing 3.8.X and updating the firmware (UI), did you reload the defaults for your machine with (UR)?

Command a mx of 10" and then look at the diagnostics (UD) and at the bottom of that screen, what is your packet-et value? If it's out of range, you can try another port to see if it's better. If you are using a USB hub, try it without the hub. 3.8.X does better without it.
    Scott

Scott
    Thanks. I'm trying that next. Are you recommending this because you had similar problems?

Angelo

I finally went back to 3.6.46… I kept trying to work through the issues because I like the features of 3.8.xx. I grew so frustrated that I left the machine on in a storm hoping for a lighting strike. I would have taken the insurance and bought another brand! 3.6.46 is like a faithful old friend and all works reliably now.

In retrospect… I think I did have some issues, issues that 3.8XX is super sensitive about. I Soldered the wire on to the Z-zero clamp rather than using the crimped connector and haven’t had a z-zero failure since. I was having false Prox hits everywhere with 3.8XX but under 3.6.46 they happened the same place every time, letting me track down what was apparently a bad splice in a cable, at least it hasn’t reappeared after re-soldering.

A problem that started with 3.8.XX and stayed on in the move back is that every time I restart the machine in the A.M. the DRO says that the X axis is at -12.XX”. No matter where the gantry is… This requires a X axis zeroing to even move close to the prox sensors to set X,Y home.
    Enough ranting… I’ve re-gained my brand loyalty and am shutting off my machine during storms.
    SG

Angelo,

I did all the recommended items.

Diagnostics show good
    Updated with a UR after loading software
    Removed USB hub
    No virus software

Still experience jerky moves with move and jog in keyboard mode. Runs fine within a program. Better than before I did the items above, but still worse than my previous version.

I would be interested if anyone else experiences this or has other recommendations on what to try. I am just living with it as is for now.

In all my beta and current version testing, I've only had something somewhat similar happen upon first use on a newly built computer and a fresh install of Win 7. Reloading defaults helped that situation, but that's not to say that is the answer.

Also, if your computer happens to have USB 3.0, it's best to not use one of those ports.
    Scott

Well I uninstalled Norton and it still having problems. Jolting, Shuttering.

Lets see if I can list all I've tried and checked to this point:

I'm using inches
    I've tried re-downloading 3.8.10 and the firmware
    I've UR to reset
    I am using 2.0USB
    I removed the hub and direct USB
    I've tried to change the VS and VR settings
    I removed quite a bit of my files to allow for more memory
    I've uninstalled Norton and tried all the above
    I'v made sure the laptop is plugged in

Also alarming is my packet ET is in 130s

Any other suggestions I may have missed?!!!

I know people do and will continue to do so, but I really dislike running these thing with laptops. I tested my laptop a while ago (a core i7 HP), and it has 4 usb ports, 2 on each side. One side worked good and the other didn't. Try all the available ports and test each to see if one works better than the other. Sometimes the controllers for them are from different manufactures. Make sure that all powersaving features are turned off. A lot of laptop CPU's are designed to throttle up and down. There could be a setting in the BIOS to turn off that feature. If you have another computer, maybe a desktop that you can try and compare results with.
    Scott

Scott, I really appreciate the help. Unfortunately I don't have another computer. I did several months of research on the SB, but apparently I missed something and I didn't know that laptops were so limited in powering the SB control software. My SB is in an unheated garage here in New England so even if I had a desktop I don't think the garage is the place for one to stay. Next year I'll invest in a heater.

Whats frustrating is that I purchased the SB and the laptop both new 7 months ago and I've never had a problem like this till I downloaded the 3.8.10 version the other night.

Yes, I changed the power setting to performance. No luck. At this point I think my only option is to go back to the previous version I had. But my concern is moving forward is every subsequent version going to be incompatible? That's disappointing to say the least since, like I said, the laptop is only 7 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by angelosart View Post
    Scott, I really appreciate the help. Unfortunately I don't have another computer. I did several months of research on the SB, but apparently I missed something and I didn't know that laptops were so limited in powering the SB control software. My SB is in an unheated garage here in New England so even if I had a desktop I don't think the garage is the place for one to stay. Next year I'll invest in a heater.

Whats frustrating is that I purchased the SB and the laptop both new 7 months ago and I've never had a problem like this till I downloaded the 3.8.10 version the other night.

Yes, I changed the power setting to performance. No luck. At this point I think my only option is to go back to the previous version I had. But my concern is moving forward is every subsequent version going to be incompatible? That's disappointing to say the least since, like I said, the laptop is only 7 months old.
    My desktop and Shopbot are in an unheated shop and I just ran a couple of files and it was -11 here they ran just like they do when it is 70