Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: another Maloof style rocker

Default another Maloof style rocker

So, in January 2012, just before I bought my SHopbot router (took delivery mid February 2012) I built a Maloof rocker out of walnut. I built it for myself, but had it displayed at a local trade show and I was made an offer, so I sold it.

Ever since I bought my Buddy BT48 Alpha, I have been busy making chairs (one of the main reasons I bought a CNC router). I have also wanted to build another rocker... for myself.

I recently got my hands on some very nice 8/4 figured maple. I decided to get another rocker done before the end of April - you got it, for the next home & trade show.

The first step was to rough cut the seat shape, and carve the saddle shape. The "old school" way (with shaves and chisels) took me 6 hours to hand carve a seat - using templates and other measurement tools to keep everything symmetrical.

Today, it tool me between 10 and 15 minutes in Aspire to draw up the seat, create the cut file - and 47 minutes to cut it out. I used my trusty Onsrud 5/8" solid carbide ball end spiral, 10,000 rpm - 3% stepover and 400 ipm feed. With just a hair over 1/64" stepover, there is almost no machine marks left to sand out. Sweet! And it is perfectly symmetrical. This is too easy...

The legs and crest rail I have rough cut the material for - I plan to use the CNC for more shaping on some of the parts. Will post more as I get to it - in between other jobs. Currently I have two medium sized custom wood kitchens, some interior doors, 3 mantles, & a dining table on the go (at the same time!)
    But if I take 1/2 hour here and there, over the course of several weeks I'll get it done.

It is always a treat to read your posts Andrew. Thanks Bob

Looking forward to the finished product.

Andrew, Had to look up Maloof. That style is a favorite of mine, but never knew it had a name. Maybe if you put a price tag of $18,000 like his "Think or Thwim" chair you'd get to keep this one Are your rockers going to be a deep V, or more Parallel? Beautiful wood and work.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott: Sam Maloof was one of the greats. Do some research and find the spread on his house-It's outrageous. His furniture wax is terrific. They likely still sell it at Rockler. JFK's Rocker was a Maloof. His writings are terrific.
    Another great that is worth reading is James Krenov, particularly his Cabinetmakers Notebook.. He has a unique approach to woodworking that I think you would particularly appreciate.

Yep, Got Krenov's books when I first started wood and got me into hand tools and mindset. Greene Brothers and Gustav Stickley my other icons. Don't know how I missed Maloof. Disdainful of CNC's in the beginning, but not anymore "That's what it's about: being curious, and trying, moving towards the kind of work that is your very own---no matter where you learn it." James Krenov
    scott P.
    Maine

I love Stickley too but haven't gotten around to fuming white oak yet.

I always wondered why Andrew liked that peak in the center of his seat design. Now I know.
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Scott: Sam Maloof was one of the greats. Do some research and find the spread on his house-It's outrageous. His furniture wax is terrific. They likely still sell it at Rockler. JFK's Rocker was a Maloof. His writings are terrific.
    Another great that is worth reading is James Krenov, particularly his Cabinetmakers Notebook.. He has a unique approach to woodworking that I think you would particularly appreciate.
    Ive got every book I think Sam wrote... I find his stuff easy to read and very interesting.

I have three of Krenov's books and never finished one yet... his writing is so dry and labouring... I try though.

My father did a lot of stuff similar to Sam Maloof's work - without ever having known who he was. I've always liked the hand carved & shaped styled furniture.. a LOT!

Anyhow, after working like a dog all morning - I had some more spraying/finishing to do this afternoon so between coats I got in another 1 1/2 hours on the rocker...

Rough shaped the front and rear legs, fit the joints and cut the crest rail angles. The next big step is getting the arms roughed out, gluing up the rockers and cutting the 7 back slats. Then the shaping begins...!

But first, I am off to the Turk's and Caicos Islands for a full week - I will be thinking of you guys while Im chiling out by the pool or on the beach with a few "beverages"... heh heh