Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: another Maloof style rocker

I was there last week and its pretty nice.
    have a great time and I love to see your work.

Quote Originally Posted by rej View Post
    I was there last week and its pretty nice.
    have a great time and I love to see your work.
    We were there the same time (first week of Feb) last year... it was nice for sure. A little warmer than the weather here currently (been in the -30's most of the last month).

Brilliant work as usual Andrew. I like the style and joinery Wish to see the finished master piece.
    I left woodwork due to office work.

Managed a few more hours on the rocker this past week (even 15 to 20 minutes here and there adds up..)

The rockers I laminate from 8 strips of 1/8" thick - by 1 1/2" wide. I ripped strips from one board on my band resaw, and sanded them on the wide belt. Each rocker will have two accent strips of pau-ferro.

My forms are some dry 2x10 spruce (several years old, so it was dry - and I straightened it out on the jointer, then added another 1/4" of MDF to the face to give me 1 1/2" thick again.

I rough cut the 7 back slats and shaped one - to use as a master to do the 6 remaining ones.

And I rough cut the arms, and started shaping the right side arm. Once I get it to where I like it, I use it to make the left side identical (but a mirror image of course).

You know Andrew and Brian should co-author a book so that all this old craftmanship married to CNC doesnt get lost to future woodies.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Absolutely gorgeous work Andrew, lam and accents make it your own and stronger, and the back slats look like they'll "give" just that little bit. Question is... Will you ever have time to sit in it? Beautiful craftsmanship.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I have plans to do more of the work on the SHopbot. But, when I work on a chair like this (one off) and a little bit here and there, it is too easy to fall back on the old way of doing things.

However... I just closed (pretty sure) a job for a huge solid mahogany table, and two show-piece chairs for either end.

I still have some details to hammer out, but I am pretty sure the customer will go with two large solid mahogany chairs in this sort of style (obviously without rockers). That means I will get a chance to have a go at trying to program, and make jigs for holding - for more parts than just the seats.

I would love to do the arms, and the back slats, and the crest rails on the CNC. As soon as I do more than one unit, it makes sense to do it.

I just got about 400 fbm of the nicest 8/4 African mahogany I have ever seen. Arrow straight 12 foot planks, wide and uniform colour and grain. Just gorgeous...

The table I have already priced at $3750. The chairs I am hoping to be able to able to make for the $2000 mark per piece. I know they will go for the table... I will know this week if the chairs will be a go or not... (fingers crossed)

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous work Andrew, lam and accents make it your own and stronger, and the back slats look like they'll "give" just that little bit. Question is... Will you ever have time to sit in it? Beautiful craftsmanship.
    Well to be honest, I dont really even have a place in our home that would comfortably fit a chair of this size... our son's toys have over run our home! But I'll worry about that when I have to.

I just might keep it at work Or better yet, someone might want to buy it (as is what happened with the last one I made). However, I would have to sell a rocker like this for about $3800 and not everyone will want to drop that kind of $$ on a chair. But, you never know... I didnt plan to sell the previous one (which I was also making for the home & trade show two years ago).