Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: another Maloof style rocker

Excellent work.
    I left woodwork due to office work.

Coming along nicely.

Andrew, shot this thread to my Dad in an e-mail "The Shopbot is a tool---THIS is Craft". Just got a reply and Dad as a rule doesn't use profanity,
    "This person is one h-ll of a good craftsman obviously working in one h-ll of a good shop.

Great to see." Thought I'd pass it on.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Andrew, shot this thread to my Dad in an e-mail "The Shopbot is a tool---THIS is Craft". Just got a reply and Dad as a rule doesn't use profanity,
    "This person is one h-ll of a good craftsman obviously working in one h-ll of a good shop.

Great to see." Thought I'd pass it on.
    I agree - the shopbot IS a tool... but, so are all my other machines, and also my rasps, chisels and carving tools, various knives, planes, etc.

That's one thing I have a hard time with - when some "traditional" woodworkers suggest using the CNC technology is somehow "cheating". I've hand carved too many furniture parts to know I CAN do it the "old way". I still enjoy doing it - when I can do it on my own time. However, when you are trying to make something in multiples, and for a customer to a particular price point - it makes 100% good sense if you have something to quicken the build time - yet the finish work is still done by "the hands" so to speak.

What I really need to do is probe my arm when I have it finished shaped. I bought the probe when I got my machine 2 years ago - never used it yet. Before I glue on these arms onto the chair I really need to figure out the probe.

Seats I find easy now. Backs are coming along as well.

More complex shapes like the back slats and the arms, I would like to model in Aspire - but I think probing would be a good option.

Tools are tools to me... been there done that Want to do it faster, cheaper, and make me more $$ at this point in my life!

Good conversation - I like discussing this stuff. No one around here I know is a real furniture builder but myself. Some cabinet guys (who I enjoy speaking to, dont get me wrong) but I miss spending time with my father, and the guy I used to work with (that now runs my old shop) discussing design, techniques, etc.

Andrew,

I had my probe for quite awhile. before I used it, but when I did, it paid for itself many time over, doing some reproduction lion and gargoyle corbels to match an 18th century wall brought over from Belgium. The probe takes a bit to use properly, and takes a long time to get an accurate, detailed 3D file from, but works well.
    Ron Sloan

BTW, did I mention I'm somewhat in awe of you work? I sometimes myself sitting here, looking at your work and your shop, with my mouth hanging open!
    Ron Sloan

Ron beat me to it Andrew, Always look forward to your posts,but I know my patience level and skills and they don't begin to approach yours. You have a "Knack". This is my limit of patience. Keep up the good work and don't sell this one.
    p.s., I can finish the small stuff, but notice 15 yrs later the doors are still on the floor on the barrister cases.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Well, thanks guys. But, I still think of myself as somewhat of an "apprentice". I may have been doing this for a while (gulp.. ill be 44 this year) but there are days when I feel like I'm just fresh out of college, and still hear my father's voice in my head asking what's going on

Scott - the best thing I can say is that like most things in life, you either have a passion for it or not. Custom woodworking is what I eat, breathe and dream of 24/7. If you WANT to do something, you just keep at it until you get it. I go to work looking forward to it each day. And in all honesty the biggest disappointment for me is that I know I will probably never come close to making even a small fraction of the things I want to try. I have so many pieces I'd love to try and build (for myself) but of course, when you have a shop to keep running - paid work for customers comes first.

Ideally I would love to prototype new furniture ideas, try new techniques, etc every day.

Ron, I will force myself to get the probe out and use it... I know it will pay off. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    p.s., I can finish the small stuff, but notice 15 yrs later the doors are still on the floor on the barrister cases.
    Man, I thought I was bad for work at home...

I told my wife in 2007 I was doing our kitchen. I am just now actually working on it! I started in August last year, but had to leave it after casing the cabinets. A few weeks ago I said OK that's enough... and have a deadline of the end of March to get it finished. 7 years late, better than never!

Yeah that Honey-do list always seems to come up last
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson