Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: another Maloof style rocker

Andrew,Watco clear? What wood are the plugs? Same as lam accent? REALLY came out nice! Should give long-tailed animals an anxiety attack
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Andrew,Watco clear? What wood are the plugs? Same as lam accent? REALLY came out nice! Should give long-tailed animals an anxiety attack
    Well, we used to use Watco for years. It is a linseed oil based Danish oil mix. The past several years, I switched to Deft - it is easier to get up here. Deft Danish oil is a heavier oil, and dries much quicker I find, and also has a greater build. It is a tung oil based Danish oil. They are both an oil/varnish mix but I think I prefer Deft. They come in the same colours and I use the natural (clear - but with a light amber tint) a lot just to enhance the grain in woods like Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany, etc. I rarely bother with maple, oak, ash, etc. A coat of clear oil really brings out the character in the wood, vs just applying a top coat finish as the lacquer really doesnt soak into the wood - it sits on the surface and doesnt bring out all the subtleties in the wood grain.

Oh yeah - the rocker's plugs, and strips for contrast in the rockers is Pau Ferro. A wood very similar to some rosewoods - oily and dense, and smells like roses when you cut and sand it. It ranges from reddish brown to quite dark brown.

I'd love to make a solid Pau Ferro chair one day. But the wood is in the mid $20's per BF for 4/4, and I am not sure 8/4 is even available now.

When I was a kid, my dad loved Pau Ferro and had a whole pile of it in the shop. He made my mom an entire dining room set (table and 8 chairs) from it. Today, that would cost you several thousands just for the wood.

AJC

So its done completely.

Rubbed out the lacquer with 0000 steel wool this morning.

Tried to take a few outside photos in natural light...

Needs to be rubbed out more with body temperature cloth. Preferably your most comfortable Is it as comfortable as it looks? Does it "Like" to rock? Most important question--Will you ever sit still long enough to enjoy it
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Needs to be rubbed out more with body temperature cloth. Preferably your most comfortable Is it as comfortable as it looks? Does it "Like" to rock? Most important question--Will you ever sit still long enough to enjoy it
    Yes it is very comfortable...
    Yes it likes to rock...
    Possibly in about 22 to 25 more years...

AJ,
    I believe my mother was rocked in this chair, i was rocked in this chair, i rocked my children in this chair, they have rocked their children in this chair, and someday (not soon i hope) they will rock their children in this chair.

Your chair will be around for generations and your childrens childrens children will be rocking their children in it long after you are dust. You really should mark it with a branding iron or some permanant marking for future generations to know where it came from because it clearly is a heirloom piece.
    I predict it will be on "Antiques Roadshow 2125"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I agree.
    it is a work of art. thank you for posting all of this.