Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Jigging--Pics?

Default Desktop Jigging--Pics?

I had a lot of pics of various Desktop jigs and table clamping that people were nice enough to send me back in the beginning, but alas most were on my old laptop that died. Mainly prototyping here so I need versatility for the entire cutting area, but the second Desktop up North will be production. How is your Desktop set up for clamping in general and/or specific jobs? What have you used you really like? Anyone set up easily referenced and removable X,Y fences to use the entire cutting area? More and more Desktops out there--How is yours set-up? I've got a couple of ideas and if it works I'll post-still screwing and wedging on the original mdf here. Thanks, scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

This isn't on a desktop but I use these a lot and I don't see why it wouldn't work on the desktop.

The copper cap has a crocodile clip that connects to the Z plate and a routine zeroes the bit inside the cap with the correct offset to the corner of the actual jig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

How new was your laptop if it is new enough you could pull the drive and slave it to a desktop or your could get a external case to slave it and pull your files off.

Laptop came new with the latest greatest OS "XP"! got it as a hand me down and only used it for surfing and e-mail. So infected at the last I wouldn't hook it up to ANYTHING. Didn't lose much-except for pics and links to pics of Desktop set-ups. Never backed it up, as I didn't want that backed up on my only external HD(design computer). Now have 2 externals(one design-one control) and they'll never meet. Thanks Adrian
    scott P.
    Maine

Searching some Junk drives and found these 2. First one is Coogara's with permission second was open source Google if I remember right(sorry I can't remember to credit). Neither does what I want exactly. Anybody drilled and tapped the aluminum frame(see a couple of wires on Y to watch out for, but not seeing Anything on X axis) and bolted something flush to aluminum extrusions that can in turn be drilled and tapped for adjustable wood X,Y fences?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    I had a lot of pics of various Desktop jigs and table clamping that people were nice enough to send me back in the beginning, but alas most were on my old laptop that died. Mainly prototyping here so I need versatility for the entire cutting area, but the second Desktop up North will be production. How is your Desktop set up for clamping in general and/or specific jobs? What have you used you really like? Anyone set up easily referenced and removable X,Y fences to use the entire cutting area? More and more Desktops out there--How is yours set-up? I've got a couple of ideas and if it works I'll post-still screwing and wedging on the original mdf here. Thanks, scott
    Scott,
    As you know, the biggest challenge we all face is answering the question, "How am I going to hold this stuff down?" Of course, each part is different - depending on material, shape and size of the parts.

The DT AL extrusion deck is pretty cool because it lets you move & cinch things down pretty easily. However, you lose that versatility if you - like most, want a spoilboard to protect those extrusions. The newer DTs come with an MDF spilboard with about 8 bolts that go into slotted holes (for about 1" of adjustment). This is great if you want to remove it for thicker materials or an indexer or other reason. However, you are pretty much limited to screws (which will get "wallerd out" after a few runs), tape or other options like cam clamps above the board.

One thing you can do is make a grid of holes to accept threaded inserts. You screw them in from the back of the spoilboard (get the low profile ones) and make sure your spoilboard is aligned to the X axis (longest) so that they are lined up for fences. As long as the insert isn't too long, you could still surface the spoilboard several times until you start getting close to the ends of the inserts. I have used threaded inserts in the past this way many times. You can get unequal length aluminum angle that you can slot on the Bot (or just drill by hand) for your fence. The unequal will give you a stubby fence and a longer leg for screwing down.

Along those same lines you could sink t-track below the spoilboard (so you have room to surface & to not run tool into them) - and then run whatever accessory fence or clamp you want. With either of these systems, it is certainly possible to add some pneumatic clamping cylinders (McMaster is good source) and have a slick little air clamp setup - which can be direct, cam or wedge style.

Then, depending on size of the parts (and thickness too) there is vacuum. You'd be surprised how well you can hold down parts of a reasonable size (say at least 3x5") with only your Fein vac. You can go a little smaller with a little pump that does 20 Hg" or more, but you have to limit leakage. Wood parts may leak too much depending on species.

My whole thing all along has been keeping the tool versatile. My situation is very different, because I never know what a customer will need cut from week to week. Each require different hold down methods - which could be screws, clamps, DS tape, vacuum or something else depending on what it is. Since you are doing production, careful evaluation of your parts and ease of use should be in order before you commit to anything on a permanent basis. You may also want to consider purpose-built jigs for each of the parts you are making, that could be added or removed to your table with some registration pins etc.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady, beginning to lean towards purpose oriented jigs with a slightly smaller spoilboard(in Y so it will slide in past right side gantry leg-T-nuts a Pain for me on the Y 18 side). A lot to consider---Hoping you had made a "Perfect" Universal Theory Jig we could copy
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Hoping you had made a "Perfect" Universal Theory Jig we could copy
    That's unobtainium....

How about something like 4 or 5 t-tracks in parallel with Y that are bolted down to the existing t-slots. Then you can slide in your jigs from the front without the need to access the Y18 side?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Will think about while staining and assembling second "Maker Crate". Maybe seeing the Desktop from the back will make me think different. Never even SEEN the backside of mine! Lot of time to think about stuff while I watch the finish dry Hate to give up a millimeter of Z. Ted once asked me "Why don't you load from the back?" Duh! Hadn't even thought about it. Same with your track idea. Anything happening with your "Baby Blue"?
    scott P.
    Maine

Yeah...You get new ideas when you change your perspective

I did my first production job this week on it...Turned fifty 4-layer thick of 12" LPs into '45 adapter' shapes for some Indie Music Awards. It was interesting...

-B