Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Jigging--Pics?

What bit/feeds/speeds for lp's was best? You always do off the wall stuff I was going to play with cd's at some point- but play time getting scarce
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

hey Scott,

I've uploaded some pictures and VCarve files on box.net of the wedging top I made for my Desktop, that allows me to hold a 24x18 blank on all 4 sides. It uses 3/8" dowels and plywood bits and pieces, so there's no metal to worry about hitting.

https://app.box.com/wedging-top

Bill

Thank you Bill,Going to unwrap second "Maker Crate" (the maple ply one) that arrived last Thusday, so Thank You twice
    scott P.
    Maine

I'm really looking forward to hearing how the crate works out for you as a desk/worktable...keep me in the loop!

Limestone one works great, the BIG casters aren't on in the shop, but they'll be great at the show next month. Wish we didn't have to turn the crate sideways without the casters to get it out though Kirk's stain job on his makes it look like it's been there 10 years. Going out now for stain and hex head driver- looking forward to being able to move around whole machine and sliding feet under, instead of twisting like a pretzel. Will do on updates and pic's
    scott P.
    Maine

hey Scott,

You can use either a 4mm or 5/32" hex bit with those fasteners..they are almost identical in size.

got 5/32 allen key to cut down as hardware was out
    of hex head drivers(naturally), Cut packaging to find bolts to take with me. Wow you guys packed those puppies carefully! Going to do the dovetails rails Zar dark mahogany to cover the thin veneer problem on the corners TJ mentioned(Minor-we never would have noticed-You didn't have to make a second out of Radiata for the thicker veneer-but glad you did) as it gave you an extra box I could have. Got wheelchair parts last week from limestone.
    Don't know why I thought Maple ply-When I unwrapped looks like very good quality birch. Got to much heart sapwood contrast for me to stain it(Hate stain anyway- the wood should speak for itself), so using a polymerized linseed/tung with maybe some pine resin to show off contrast. Cobalt blue on shopbot after sanding and then a coat of satin wiping Minwax or Deft Brushing laquer(never used either so do test piece- I'm NOT handrubbing the sucker for a month )
    Should have put this in the "Maker Crate" thread
    Will post pics and comments. Thanks Bill
    scott P.
    Maine

Brady, what tool did you use to cut the LPs'? Would you do it again? Did you inscribe anything on them? Sounds like a cool result and an interesting challenge.

Hey Gina,

Have you seen the cnc-cut LP art that Joe Szuecs who helps with Maker Faire does?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rengaarts

Bill

Bill,
    Neat link.

Gina,
    I just used a single flute spiral-O. I tried a 2-flute, but the single worked better. I'm a job shop - so I get all kinds of strange or out of the box projects. Yes I would do it again.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com