Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machining white oak

Default Machining white oak

I have a job to make 2 doors with panels. Each door will be 24" x 36" and will have four panels. Each panel will have a carved family crest. The customer has requested white oak as it a suitable wood for use outdoors. I have never carved (machined) white oak. I'd like to know how well it cuts on a CNC router. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Grab a hunk & try it...It machines fine - better than red oak - not as hard. Like all oak, it has 'open grain' so plan on slathering some kind of filler on it if the customer doesn't like the open grain.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by phil_o View Post
    I have a job to make 2 doors with panels. Each door will be 24" x 36" and will have four panels. Each panel will have a carved family crest. The customer has requested white oak as it a suitable wood for use outdoors. I have never carved (machined) white oak. I'd like to know how well it cuts on a CNC router. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
    Phil,

I couple years back I did a large custom outdoor bench from white oak with carving in it.

It does cut very well. Take shallow passes (3/16" for roughing) at most. I got virtually no splintering. My spindle speed was about 11K rpm with feed at around 4ips. I roughed everything with a 1/4" ballnose and finished with a 1/8" ballnose. Not much sanding when I was done as I set my finishing pass stepover at about 6%. Takes longer but saves a boat load of sanding time. I'd rather have the CNC spend the time, while I can be working on something else, then me spend the time sanding. Just my preference.

I also did a white oak plaque for a former Marine in Tucson, AZ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks for the replies - very helpful

Phil

Default white oak

White Oak

A closed-grain hardwood, white oak is almost impervious to water. The pores of the heartwood of white oaks are typically plugged with tyloses, which is a membranous growth.Tyloses makes the white oak impenetrable to liquids and particularly suited for use in the boat industry. Because of its resistance to moisture, white oak is also widely used to construct outdoor furniture.
    White oak is fairly straight-grained and is a favorite material used in many types of fine furniture. It’s usually available quarter sawn. The grain in quarter sawn white oak has a striking ray flake pattern.
    The coloring in white oak is varied. Separate boards of white oak lumber may be dark brown, light brown, or brown with yellow tones.Stain and wood sealer tend to beautifully enhance the appearance of white oak.

When resawing white oak planks into staves there may be considerable tension springing of the pieces. Be prepared for this. I have had it stop the saw blade on a 3HP Unisaw. It is a great wood though. Gustav Stickley used it exclusively for his furniture and it was also a favorite choice for boat timbers back in the day.

Phil, concerning Dave's point about white oak binding...... I had a white oak tree cut down and all turned into quarter sawn planks. The lumber mill told me to not even bother with cutting the huge branches/limbs into lumber. He said that limb wood is naturally full of tension, and will move when the wood is machined. So though it pained me, as I had some HUGE limbs on that old tree, I turned those into firewood.

Now what I was told seems like it would be probably true for any type of tree, but the lumber mill owner was specifically commenting on white oak. In any event, maybe what Dave experienced was the result of cutting white oak that came from a limb. I have cut up a lot of my white oak with both a band saw and a table saw, all from the trunk, and none of it ever moved or pinched.

Of course, if you are simply buying a board, how do you know if the wood is from a limb or not, I don't know. But I do know, despite snickers that this has generated on previous posts, that it is easy to differentiate white oak from red oak. If you suck on the end of a white oak board, you can't pull any air through the pores. If you do the same with red oak, it is very easy to suck air through the pores.

Good luck, and may all your white oak be trunk wood! Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Some interesting info Chuck. I appreciate the new knowledge. The old shipbuilders used a lot of limbs as this is where they got the curved pieces from for the knee ribs, but they were cleaning the up with hand tools.

Thanks for the additional info guys. I learned a few things here too

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I don't have anything nearly as informative as these guy but a while back I posted a bow-tie carved from some white oak, it was one of my first 3-d projects and had really no idea what I was doing but the wood was so easy to work with I was successful on my first try. My feeds and speed were certainly on the cautious side but they worked nonetheless. I hope this helps you to proceed with confidence!!
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me