Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapered Rope Carving (Can't figure it out)

Hey Mark,

Just as an FYI, if you open the Indexer Utility you'll see an item in the menu bar at the top named "Tools". If you click the "Settings" item you can select X or Y parallel orientation.

Bill

As a side note:
    I'm gonna tell those prematurely gray guys at Vectric you called them "Kids"!!

Mark: Indexers can be a really cool tool and I am a bit envious of those who have one and push the creativity limits with it. It may be my next in a string of never ending upgrades. I know we get caught up in our clients requests, and often they are not really that imaginative, but the ability to do a true 3-d carving with an indexer is it's real power. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the things you come up with for it.

Here is a simple way to figure out your spacing. If you want 1" rope spirals then you need a 2" rope molding bit. It's always 1/2 the width.

I think of it like hills and valleys. The point of the bit in the bottom of the valley and the curve of the bit makes half of one side of the hill on each side of the valley.
    Depending on the bit you use you can make several different types of spirals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

a few more
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BillYoung View Post
    Hey Mark,

Just as an FYI, if you open the Indexer Utility you'll see an item in the menu bar at the top named "Tools". If you click the "Settings" item you can select X or Y parallel orientation.

Bill
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for that tip. It just shows I've still got so much more to learn

Thanks again, you just made the indexer utility even more convenient to use

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    As a side note:
    Indexers can be a really cool tool and I am a bit envious of those who have one and push the creativity limits with it. It may be my next in a string of never ending upgrades. I know we get caught up in our clients requests, and often they are not really that imaginative, but the ability to do a true 3-d carving with an indexer is it's real power. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the things you come up with for it.
    I've just started on the indexer. Really can't wait to experiment and put out work like the ones put up by Jack above. More fun days ahead with experimenting

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Here is a simple way to figure out your spacing. If you want 1" rope spirals then you need a 2" rope molding bit. It's always 1/2 the width.

I think of it like hills and valleys. The point of the bit in the bottom of the valley and the curve of the bit makes half of one side of the hill on each side of the valley.
    Depending on the bit you use you can make several different types of spirals.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the tip. I had used a 1/4" beading/roundover bit since the spindle leg was so small (about an inch diam) and on a taper. Didn't have a roping bit small enough for that. I'll definitely keep the 1/2 width tip in mind when I start doing full out rope mouldings.

Where do you get your bits for the rope/barley twists by the way?

Your work looks great! Recognize some of it from the humble sticks tutorial (mainly coz of the orange skate ). Amazing tutorial. Read it over and over.

I've probably a couple months away before I become comfortable enough with twists to be able to put out work like yours. Really interested in trying out the hollow spiral, but a bit daunting for now.

Thanks for your advice and photos. Really inspiring and giving me all sorts of ideas.

Mark

Magnate makes good cheap barley twist and rope profile bits http://www.magnate.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=24

I get my bits from magnate like mick posted. If you want to do small stuff like handles for magnifying glass, ect they have a small spiraling bit to do pens with
    The barley twist was done with a 3" bit

Randall Newcomb did the tutorial, i just contributed to it...
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

myxpykalix, what bit were you using in the last picture of the leg done from a profile curve?
    I need to do a similar profile curve for an archetectural column, and it'll be my first time utilizing the indexer...

Quote Originally Posted by rgreever View Post
    myxpykalix, what bit were you using in the last picture of the leg done from a profile curve?
    I need to do a similar profile curve for an archetectural column, and it'll be my first time utilizing the indexer...
    If you are talking about this pic, it was just a 1/4 ballnose bit.

A couple tips to keep in mind. If you can, clip the square sharp corners prior to stating. Also keep in mind that you want to program light cuts.
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Is it always ball-nose bits for cutting on the indexer (when doing round stuff)? Or could you also use straight end-mills, etc..?
    I was plannin on starting off with the rounding off toolpath first. Can I use a 7/16" two-flute upcut bit for that? Or what would you recommend?

I know for the spirals, ropes, et al, it's specialty bits. Just trying to learn as much as possible before I go breaking stuff =)

Any other resources/required reading I should check out? I've watched the vectric and SB videos quite a few times, but that's it