Thread: For the those who bought our patterns

Default For the those who bought our patterns

I have a suggestion to those who bought our patterns. When sanding the slices take a 1/4 inch dowel rod and place it in a small block of wood. when sanding use the dowel rod to hold the piece of wood that you are sanding.. makes it easier to hold and less sanding of the fingers, start drilling a 1/4 hole in all the handles of the products that you slice. Then you can use it as a place to hang the product up and put your hang tags on. Some already have the 1/4 inch whole in the pattern but not all.

I wish I had come up with this years ago.. would have saved my finger tips a lot of pain...
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

When sanding pieces like you make in previous shops I worked in they used soft inflatable sanders that conformed to the shape sanded and were stationary like a grinder. Your fingers never got close to it. Lots of jobs are easier with different stationary sanders. A lot of folks think that stationary belt, disc, and small hard drums are all there are, but there are a huge number of alternates out there for sanding of shaped parts.Check out some of the non-traditional sanding wheel attachments like "fladders" and you might find a better answer to you dowel trick.

Dave, just spent 30 minutes looking at "Fladders" and trying just to find the sanding head like this in 220 or finer. Was hoping to find something better than flap sanders i've seen and faster(cheaper) than 3m radial bristle discs. Still searching but you probably can steer me off the top of your head. Particularly liked the way this one looked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    When sanding pieces like you make in previous shops I worked in they used soft inflatable sanders that conformed to the shape sanded and were stationary like a grinder. Your fingers never got close to it. Lots of jobs are easier with different stationary sanders. A lot of folks think that stationary belt, disc, and small hard drums are all there are, but there are a huge number of alternates out there for sanding of shaped parts.Check out some of the non-traditional sanding wheel attachments like "fladders" and you might find a better answer to you dowel trick.
    Dave I agree with you there are other sanders out there. I have Inflatable sander that is on one side and has a flutter sander on the other. These products that I refer to is cut out of 2" stock, then you saw 5 products out of it on a band saw. 3 of the 5 has saw marks on both sides, so a belt sander works best to sand out the saw marks. These products are flat on both sides. I have tried others sanders including my jet 16-32 sander, but have found it easier and best to use the 4 x 36 belt sander
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Since they're flat products have you ever tried cutting a holding sled for them and running them through the wide sander? I assume you normally can't due to thinness and/or small size, but I have run lots of small or thin parts through one by putting them on a sled.