Thread: Solid surface corian type material source?

Default Solid surface corian type material source?

Hi,

I am looking for solid surface countertop material similar to corian. i have found

http://solidsurface.com/ as one source, but know that there has to be more out there. Any help?

There are tons of manufacturers out there. Formica and Wilsonart have their own brands and another big one is Avonite and at this time there are a bunch of different lines being produced in China and sold domestically. What is the best source to search depends on what you need more exactly. If you are looking for some small pieces to experiment with than a great source is usually fabricator shops who end up with sink-cutouts and small leftovers. If you have a project that needs multiple sheets but are somewhat flexible as far as pattern goes then an independant agent pushing their import line or "B" grades from Corian could be the best choice. E-mail me if this is the case and I can send you a contact. Although he is a Florida guy he knows people into it all over.

Default Corian

I have found a lot of nice Corian at the Habitat for Humanity store here. I would suppose you have a store near you.

Various sizes for about 1/4 of full price. Most cabinet shops will have a collection of mess ups they may want to sell.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Default Corian

Go to a counter top fab shop. Check the dumpster they toss sink cut-outs. Or ask if they don't give them to you I'm sure they will be cheap.

Default Corian for signmakers

I copied this from Keith Outten from a post of his on Sawmill Creek Forum. I hope this helps you out.
    This afternoon I was invited to an unveiling of Dupont's new Corian colors for this year. During my visit I met Marcy Cross-Spiron who is a Regional Sales Manager and Todd Apple the Regional Director - Americas. I discussed with both of them the problem that sign companies have getting certified to purchase Corian and I was assured that Dupont will help any sign company that wants to start purchasing Corian.

All it will take is a phone call or email to Daniel Andersen, he will take care of getting your company setup with your local distributor. You will not have to pay any fee or satisfy any equipment prerequisites. Call or email Daniel and provide your company information and he will do the rest. This offer is for businesses, there is no provision for individuals to purchase Corian that I know of at this time.

The person to contact is:

Daniel S. Andersen
    daniel.s.andersen@usa.dupont.com
    Cell Phone# 847-274-7076

Make sure you mention my name (Keith Outten) and that you were told to contact Daniel about getting certified to purchase Corian. I would email him first. Tell him you are in the business of making signs and are not a counter top installer.

Dupont has created 19 new colors for this year. Two of the new colors are transparent and will most likely be real popular with those who make lithophanes. Both of the transparent colors (Glacier Ice and Arctic Ice) are variations of white and I was told that there will be more transparent colors available soon. Many of the new colors are stone style colors and will be excellent materials for sign makers.

You might try Liberty Hardwoods, in KC. They have a product called "Diamond surfaces". They have it in 1/2" and 1 3/16" thickness. I'd almost bet they deliver out to your area too. I've used some to produce a couple signs and name plates. Not the greatest pictures....

I should have used a light colored paint on the green one.....

Oh, NO license required to purchase this product either.

Jim , I bought a full 10' sheet for my lithophanes I make and got it from solidsurfaces . com good service . Depending on what your making and how fast you use it I switched to E-bay there's a company out of Minnisota ehat will sell 1 piece or a hundred . From 1" x 6" to what ever you want and large variety . Fast shipping to. Company is SanJac Stuff