Thread: applying faceframes

Default applying faceframes

I have 3 cabinets i've made 2 four foot wides and one 3 foot wide. The two four footers on either end and the three footer in the center. I think i have some 12' long poplar i'll use on the rails and stiles to make it look like one big cabinet or do you recommend doing individual frames for each box?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Default Assembly

Hi Jack: Keep in mind where you are going to put the finished cabinet. Two smaller assembled cabinets are easier to move in place than one large finished one. If you ever have to move it for any reason, two separate cabs can be unscrewed and moved much easier. Just my two cents. Joe

Jack
    I always try to make as big a cabinet as possible to keep the joints and installation headaches to a minimum. As stated previously, ingress and egress to the space is always the first consideration. I just find that less to do in the field makes my life easier.
    thanks
    Brian

With that much cabinet width, I would go with face framing the individual cabinets. You already have the space divided up by making the narrower cabinets. One thing you can do for the stiles that butt up against the stiles on another cabinet is make them narrower. This way the "space" between doors is less then going with a standard 1.5" stile.

In your situation the stiles that meet I would make 7/8" wide instead of 1.5" wide. The outside most stiles, still make 1.5" wide. 2 1.5" stiles together equals a 3" separation between doors.2 7/8" stiles equals a 1.75" separation. More appealing and balanced to the eye - in my opinion.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

My thought was to lay all 3 boxes down totaling 11 ft wide, make the faceframe to accomodate all 3. Then to put up all 3 boxes seperately on the wall, then apply the faceframe.
    Although the two end four footers will have doors. The center cabinet will be open shelving with a valance on top and some type of decorative carving on the bottom.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Default Face Frames

Consider how you would attach the face frame to the finished cabinet. I usually pocket screw face frame from behind, then glue rail of cabinet and clamp face frame to cabinet overnight. It make a great bond that will last a lifetime. No need to face nail frames on to cabinet. Used to use dowels to assemble my face frames, but with the advent of pocket cutting, it just makes things a lot easier. The pocket joints seem to do a really good job also.

I have all three boxes made and will lay them out on the table to start and make my version of a "story stick" to lay out where cabinets butt up together and where i'll make cabinet doors and other openings.

Question is should i make my doors first, then fit the faceframe to them or does it matter?
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Default Face Frames

I would make face frame and once attached to cabinets make doors afterwards. This way you have less room for error. You can measure doors to finished frames.