Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors complaining already

Default Neighbors complaining already

Neighbors say my table saw is too loud.
    This is a residential neighborhood and I am not suppose to be running a business out of my garage. How do you get around this? Did all of you buy a business location?
    I wonder if ShobBot is about as loud as a table saw?
    Randy

Randy;

A Shopbot with a PC spindle and dust collector is about 4 - 5 X as loud as a table saw. With a HSD spindle and dust collector it is about 2 - 3 X as loud as the table saw. My router, with a PC spindle, is in the basement (14 years now) and you cannot hear it outside. I have recently upgraded my garage door to a heavily insulated one (R16 with seals) and I am planning on sound proofing the garage and moving the router there soon.

Randy what size bot? The desktops have a case around them that knocks down some of the noise. It might be possible to do some sort of structure around your bot for sound deadening reasons. Just a thought. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

You might tell them you're working on remodeling projects. After a while, they'll get used to the hum of your machinery and hopefully leave you alone.

You might try bribery too. That can work. Offer them something nice. I made new signs for my private drive and everyone loves me. Maybe you can do something like that to win over any busy bodies.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Guy, you must have an incredibly quiet table saw. My ShopBot (HSD spindle) is nowhere near as loud as my table saw (direct drive, induction motor).

From outside my workshop (it has 4" of insulation) the shopbot and dust collector can barely be heard 15' away. There's no doubt when the table saw is on and cutting even from twice that distance.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

The top man in charge of planning and zoning in my county told me that if anyone from the county came to me , make sure that you tell them that you are doing things in your shop for your own personal use. That would stop the county from bothering you. Now on a homeowners association i have no advise but to try to use sound dampening materials to try to keep it as quiet as possible . Research how to do this because there are some good advise and tricks that will help you . also you may want to make things for the association

In my city you can run a business from your home, you can’t have employees at the house other than blood relatives and customers can’t come to the house… I can make “noise” from 9-9 but can’t be any louder than a lawnmower! I’ve been blasted out of bed by a lawn mower many a time and my bot is way quieter!
    Our city recognizes that 90% of new businesses start in a garage and are the life blood of any healthy city.
    That said… I often talk to my neighbors about what I do and am not shy about making small gifts for them. They all have my card and numbers and know that if they are being bothered they can call.
    SG

- Use the smallest bits and run with lowest rpm you can get away with. I mostly cut with 1/8" upspiral for that reason. It is slower than a full depth cut with a bigger bit but that is my price for peace in the neighborhood. Depending on the material I can even leave the garage door open.

- Use a dust collector with an induction motor. Quieter than most shopvacs.

- Use a spindle, not a router

- If you use vacuum, be careful with the pump selelction. A small GAST pump with muffler barely makes any noise but can do only pods.

I wear hearing protection for a PC laminate trimmer with roundover, but NOT with the desktop with spindle. My Fein turbo 2 is easily twice as loud and the Delta DC is 3 times louder. Depends on what your cutting though and the bit. I've got one 1/4" that screams like a Banshee at 3 IPS,12.5K(best quality cut for me). Everything else you barely have to talk over the Fein.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I had the same concern, I live in an HOA guarded neighborhood. I did what I could insulating the walls and door of my garage and got a spindle. So far (and my experience is limited) it hasn't been as loud as my ShopVac. Standing outside my garage all I can hear is a muffled vacuum, not the range of squeals in cutting direction changes. People keep telling to get a Fein or DC but honestly, I think the shopvac noise is a good disguise.

As far as the neighbors go, I just tell people I'm an artist and only use my bot between 8am and 8pm.