Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on sign pricing

Paul Borins Display & Packaging, Buffalo New York

Default Information on sign pricing

Where can I find some information on how to price signs? The other question that I have is regarding an hourly rate for the machines. From time to time people in my industry will ask me to cut out some parts for them with their material. They give me a good DXF file which I convert easily to a toolpath, but I am never sure what to charge them for "machine" time.

Andy (Unregistered Guest) Guest

We charge an hourly rate of around $80. For sign pricing the best thing to do is get a trade magazine and see what the established trade cnc folks are offering.

Pricing mainly depends on where you are and what you're market is like in terms of competition- the more you have the tighter the pricing.

You can make money in the sign trade as most sign shops have vinyl cutter only- but you might find that are hope less when it comes to understanding proper routed sign work and what it takes and should cost

Can you suggest a trade magazine and where to get it?

Andy (Unregistered Guest) Guest

I think Sign Builder and signs of the times are big in the US- I'm in the UK so my mags aren't relevant- sadly.

Try http://signweb.com for more information.

I know that in the UK the going rate for say a 2ft high 5mm thick Plex letter is £15ish- trade. Retail they recon on a markup of +40% on this.

Try www.signwriterusa.com. This is a pricing guide. Hope this helps.

SignCraft Magazine (signcraft.com) is by far the best trade publication for small shops like mine. I have almost all of their 25 years of issues and they are an encyclopedia of signmaking knowledge unavailable anywhere else.
    Like this ShopBot forum, the best info comes from others doing what you do or strive to do and every issue of SignCraft is mainly sign shop owners describing what they do.

SignCraft's annual sign pricing guide does not specifically include CNC routed signs, but their prices for sandblasted signs are comparable to my CNC routed sign prices.

Dave the www.signwriterusa.com link doesn't work.

Phil,
    try L{www.signwritersusa.com}

Hey guys, let me tell you a story about "Signwriters Guide To Easier Pricing". In 1989 I was president of the Oklahoma Sign Association. At our annual meeting, we invited Jack Rumph, the publisher of the above mentioned book, to be our guest speaker. At the time I believe he was residing in Montana. I picked him up at Will Rogers World Airport in OKC and brought him home with me for two days prior to the meeting. During this time, we spent a lot of time just chatting about him, his book, and his life. He certainly had a world of knowledge about the sign indusry, and was only too happy to share it. At the Saturday night formal dinner, Jack wowed us with his knowledge, with and charm. He is about 6' 6" tall, and can really lay it on. He asked us questions about our shop operation, and made suggestions on "how do you get paid for this ?" that most of us had never thought of pricing into a job, i.e., rags, cleaning supplies, etc.
    To make a long story short, the knowledge in his book(s) is right on, and very worthwhile to use. We certainly use it, almost like a bible. It seems we never get questioned about prices, when we pull "the book" down and open it right in front of the customer, much like the shop rate in a service center. Amazing........
    Finally, Jack told me he tried to build in at least 30% profit on EVERY part of the job. If we would all do at least this, the $20K annual insurance bill would be a lot easier to pay.
    I just wanted to put a face with the name, seems we all find it a little easier to believe and understand someone with some real credability about them. I would certainly encourage you to at least take a look at one of his books. And, if you decide to purchase it, by all means USE IT. Don't hesitate to open it and show the customer what it says.Remember, it will only make you more money, and, make our professon a little more professional. Oh, and Don..I couldn't agree more with you about Sign Craft magazine. Seems my magazine storage is poppin' at the seams also.
    Again, just wanted to elaborate a bit about someone who has made a very great contribution to our industry. And, Jack, if you are out there............I still think you came from a long line of very good Pentecostal Holiness Revival Preachers ! Thanks for sharing your time with me.
    Doug Strickland

Doug,
    That is some good sage advice, that almost every owner of a shopBot should heed.
    We all seem to be making signs so hec you may as well get paid right for it.

I just finished spending a couple of hours with my "bible" as I am currently pricing out two real big guilded dimensional pieces. One is 28ft long and the other one is 15ft long.
    Jack and the folks at Sign Writers do a real thorough job on their guide and even have pricing based on using a CNC which is rare.
    And of course I draw a lot of my inspiration and Drive from all those great contributors in Sign Craft.
    Dale